B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Subtle Surge or RPM Pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

The shop called me today and they are going to replace the torque converter. They are having the part overnighted and should have it finished tomorrow. Heck, I'm in a loaner car so they can take all the time they want!

So happy I'm under warrenty because since purchasing I've now had the piston rings replaced and the torque converter.

If this get's the car in perfect shape for me I plan to do the APR Stage I tune but I want everything working perfectly before I do that.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

Replacing the torque converter fixed the problem! Happy day! My car is now running perfectly.

Now for APR stage 1. Anyone know when they have those sales when you can get all of the programs for the basic price?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

I got my APR Stage I on Monday and wow you can certainly notice the difference! I'm just running in 91 mode and it's a big difference. The low end push is real nice. Just what the car needed.

So far I'm very happy with it.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

To the OP, where di you find the TSB for this issue? I've been looking all over for it and no luck other than here and audizine.com My car has the same exact symptoms and am going to take it in tomorrow to the dealer as my CPO runs out within a week. I have video of it doing it, but hopefully it does it for them and they can ultimately make the right call and replace the TC! Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

I don't remember where I found the TSB. It was somewhere here, but all that I did was copy and paste the TSB text from above into an email and sent it to my dealer. I told them that this was exactly what my car was doing and the next day they called me to schedule an appointment.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

How much is this repair? My car had this problem and I replaced everything but. No one at P&W audi was smart enough to figure it out when it was under warranty, and I've bought two cars from them, so I gotta do it I guess.
Also, can not replace this do further damage? What kinda time might I have?

Thanks,
Nik

Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Thanks so much for this suggestion. My car had been having this problem for the past 90k miles and no one could figure it out. Got the torque converter changed for $1,500 and it's finally back to normal.

Frank

Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

I have an '08 with herky jerky shift hesitation. I am going to order a VAG com to determine if indeed its a torque conv. issue--all signs point to this. Have you seen malfunctioning valve bodies as a cause for this condition or IN ADDITION to failing TC's?

My question: What is the shop labor total in hrs for this job?
How long does it actually take?

Originally Posted by aspen79
I would bet my life (almost) it is the torque converter clutch, more specifically the seals inside the converter for the TCC piston.

On a scanner, the MVB for TCC should show "OFF" and "ON" (or "open" and "closed"). If it reads "CNTRL" constantly, it is the converter. The ECM/TCM is commanding full TCC but not "seeing" it.

ANother good test is if it gets less noticable as the trans fluid temp gets to normal.

I've replaced 5 converters in '08 A4 2.0T's in the past couple weeks, and have 2 more on order. It's a tough one to diagnose unless you've seen it before. Then it's obvious what the problem is. First inclination is that it's an engine problem.

Now, if there was only a fix for the idle vibration on these cars.................................

Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Hey everyone,

I had the same issue... Also does your car have trouble starting up after refueling and rough idle? If so, I have read in other forums that the cause could be the N80 valve. My 2007 A4 had all of those with codes of p0546 p0544... etc, all pointing to evap. So I went and bought a N80 filter from ebay, no more than 20 bucks and installed it. It's a little hard to take the clamps off but make sure to buy some screw clamps, becuase the ones you take off are one time use. Car so far runs fine with no codes popping. Smoother idle, no surging or pulsing either. Before spending a lot of money, try the N80 valve.

Here is where I found the part...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110991749461...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rrodri05; 03-04-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added more text
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

will it damage or mess my car up if i dont get it fixed? or will just just run like that forever?

Quick Reply: Subtle Surge or RPM Pulsing