B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

TC's reference thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

sweet. glad to hear that it works "as advertised"

I'm assuming the dry run you did earlier helped a lot with making the installation go more smoothly?

Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
sweet. glad to hear that it works "as advertised"

I'm assuming the dry run you did earlier helped a lot with making the installation go more smoothly?
Absolutely. The video for the sat pass helped a lot, but it was still a bulk of the time.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default A public service announcement!

Clean your snow filter!!!!!!! Your car will love you more because she isn't starving for air. It's a wonder my car could even breath, the damn thing was so clogged.

I only saw this because I was switching over to K&N (I've read everything on here, the studies and all that, but I use it in all my cars), and had to wash the snow screen. I used hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap. It broke all the dirt up reall nice. I then air dried using the exhaust from my wet/dry vac. There was a ton of other crap in the airbox too.

That is all. Now off to purchase a 160gb iPod to really take advantage of the specdock and gateway.....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default Follow up to SpecDock 2point5 and Dension Gateway:

So I purchased an iPod classic (160gb) and loaded my whole collection on it. While I'm sure I don't have as large a collection as most (15832 songs), it's pretty good sized, as I tend to rip at 320. A couple of observations:

1. I find that I am going to have to create some play lists. Scrolling through every artist is a pain in the ***.

2. I scrolled too fast at one point going through the artists to get to Porcupine Tree, and the whole system shut down and restarted. I guess I was scrolling a little too fast.

3. I'm getting used to the CD buttons and their functions. So you know, the Dension instructions as well as the videos always say "CD 6 to main menu" and stuff like that. It is actually CD 12.

4. The sound quality is great. I was listening to Pantera this morning at an earsplitting level (was getting psyched up for the day on the way to work) with minimum distortion.

iPod specific stuff: I am fairly new to Apple products. In the past, I was using creative MP3 players, and was using Media Monkey to load music onto the players. Since switching to an iPhone 4, I had to start using iTunes. The scanning of my music (which is located on a NAS box) took almost a week, then I had to re-download 60% of the artwork, and all kinds of other crap. PITA.

While you can drop and drag music onto the iPhone, or any other small iPod, when the classic hooked up, it synced EVERYTHING. So now I have a **** ton of kids music (Veggie Tails anyone?) on my classic, and have to scroll through that **** as well to get to the music I want to listen to.

So far I am pretty satisfied, and will probably listen to music by selecting genre.....

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Toasted Coastie
iPod specific stuff: I am fairly new to Apple products. In the past, I was using creative MP3 players, and was using Media Monkey to load music onto the players. Since switching to an iPhone 4, I had to start using iTunes. The scanning of my music (which is located on a NAS box) took almost a week, then I had to re-download 60% of the artwork, and all kinds of other crap. PITA.

While you can drop and drag music onto the iPhone, or any other small iPod, when the classic hooked up, it synced EVERYTHING. So now I have a **** ton of kids music (Veggie Tails anyone?) on my classic, and have to scroll through that **** as well to get to the music I want to listen to.
Any song you uncheck in iTunes (you can do it with selecting entire albums/genres), will not sync to your iPod. That might help you keep off some of the stuff you don't want.

The scrolling through tons of artists/albums is why I wanted the ability to pick the iPod up and use the clickwheel in the car. I hate navigating via "emulating" harnesses (I had that in my old car with the head unit I had and it was a pain). I usually sort by album because I have a tendency to listen to entire albums at a time. I don't jump around a lot. I also listen to a lot of podcasts on my drives and less music.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KingWulfgar
Any song you uncheck in iTunes (you can do it with selecting entire albums/genres), will not sync to your iPod. That might help you keep off some of the stuff you don't want.

The scrolling through tons of artists/albums is why I wanted the ability to pick the iPod up and use the clickwheel in the car. I hate navigating via "emulating" harnesses (I had that in my old car with the head unit I had and it was a pain). I usually sort by album because I have a tendency to listen to entire albums at a time. I don't jump around a lot. I also listen to a lot of podcasts on my drives and less music.
I'm tracking you now. OK, so some more observations on that note:

I also use my iPod in my office and tend to play music all day. I noticed that whatever the iPod was on last will continue to play once docked in the car.

Using the Dension by itself (without buying the docking station) you have the ability to control the unit via the click wheel as well. To do this, press disc 6 button (mine is labled as 12), then scroll to iPod UI. select this function by clicking the left steering wheel control. This gives you the ability to select via iPod click wheel.

I enjoy being able to see the track name on the instrument cluster, but would like it to show up on the head unit as well. Still trying to figure that one out.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Got the Minimum Oil Level warning light this morning on my way into work today. Got the nice little beep, and the warning light came on. I was about half way to work (about 12 miles into my commute). So I continued on my merry way.

Car was serviced before being sold to me by Sunnyside Acura of Nashua, NH. Mileage on car was 59,440 when serviced, light came on at 62,968. That being said, there was 3,528 miles between service and light.

With that being said, on my way home from work today, I stopped at Audi Nashua to see if the parts department was open to grab a quart for a top off. I didn't have any 5w40 at the house, so I figured, seeing that I live exactly one block from the Audi/Porsche dealership, I would just stop there.

So the parts department was closed. I walked into the service department only to find that the parts department closes at 5:30. It was 5:50. The nice girl in the service department asked what I needed, and I told her, just looking for a quart of oil.

"What year is your car?" So I tell her. "Do you just need a 1 qt top off?" Yup. She opens her drawer "Here, no charge", and hands me a quart of 5w40 for free.

Hope all there service is as good, I plan on doing everything I can there. Not to mention that the girls that work there are pretty easy on the eyes....

Old 02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Noise on start up

So upon start up, the car makes a sort of "clicking" noise with a little squeel, that I tend to associate with serpentine belt noise. I'm scheduling my 65k miles servicing, and having the dealership replace the diverter valve (already purchased) and am going to have them look at the belt for replacement. Are there any other problems that could be associated with said noises?

I'll try to get a video with good sound up some time this weekend.

Love this site. I've been using this thread as a timeline/n00b guide to B7 A4s. thank you site for allowing me to.

Best,

Ron

Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

So I purchased this car in November, and spaced getting the car inspected. Wife flipped out on me (how unusual) and told me to get the damn thing inspected. So I scheduled an appointment at my local authorized garage to have it inspected, have the belt changed, oil change and diverter valve changed out.

Hoping the belt clears the noise I am getting......

I'm taking baby steps right now, working up to a stage two. This fall I will probably have the test pipe put in and go from there.....

Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Got the car back today. Annoying belt sound gone!! Thank goodness. Also had the diverter valve replaced with the newest revision. So next will be the test pipe/highflow cat, then the tune.

Gave her a nice bath, and she is all nice and clean again.

On a side note, my mileage has gone up. I've been averaging around 24mpg the last couple tanks, but I think I squeezed 27mpg out of this tank. At 360ish on this tank and have not gotten the warning light yet. Getting close though.....

Quick Reply: TC's reference thread