B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Ticking when car is off, goes away when door is opened

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Ticking when car is off, goes away when door is opened

Wife's car - '06 A4 2.0T quattro, auto, 88k on the clock.

I was in the garage yesterday and heard this weird ticking sound. Found it was coming from what sounded like under the driver side of the car. Car had not been driven in almost 2 days.

If you opened the door, the car would wake up and the sound would go away. Once you close the door and the car goes back to sleep, the ticking would immediately begin again.

It almost sounds like a louder version of the ticking sound the depth finder on my boat makes if I leave it on out of the water. It didn't seem to drain the battery but concerns me if she goes on a trip and has it parked at the airport for a week.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Anyone? Doesn't seem to be draining the battery (which is new). Car typically isn't driven on the weekends, so it spends 60-65 hours straight without being run at a time every weekend. We haven't had any periods longer than that with it sitting in the last several months.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

Hey, no help here just wanted to let you know I read it and have absolutely no idea what it could be. No ticking from my 2008. Curious if it is under the car or under the seat? I know my exhaust will make a ticking noise while cooling, but that really doesn't seem to be your issue.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Hey, no help here just wanted to let you know I read it and have absolutely no idea what it could be. No ticking from my 2008. Curious if it is under the car or under the seat? I know my exhaust will make a ticking noise while cooling, but that really doesn't seem to be your issue.
You hear it clearly under the car with the door closed. Opening the door wakes the car and the sound immediately goes away. I haven't tried letting the car go to sleep with the door open - though to be honest I've put almost zero effort into tracking this down at this point.