AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   B7 Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/)
-   -   What % tint should I get? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b7-models-71/what-%25-tint-should-i-get-126719/)

I'm Audi 03-04-2009 11:20 AM

What % tint should I get?

I went to the tinted window shop and told them I wanted 35% tints all around, but the windshield 50%.

They gave me a funny look as said are you sure, 50% for the windshield is extremely dark..

Are they retarded or is it just me?

last time I checked 50% tints are pretty much UV protection that's it. In other words no tints visiable only sun protection. Can never tell if it's tinted or not.

warranty225cpe 03-04-2009 11:22 AM

I would go lighter than that on the windshield. But Im kinda partial to no tint. I have a better chance of not getting pulled over with no tint.

Oafy22 03-04-2009 11:56 AM

50 is dark for a windshield.

drflaco216 03-04-2009 12:48 PM

It really does depend on where you live though. I know up here in Cleveland 50 is the legal limit but in Florida you can do 35 to 20 no problem. I've heard of people tinting their front windshield but I didn't catch what % they were using. With me now owning a black car I'm trying to figure out if I should go with 50 or 35 all around. I don't want to get tickets over tint.

jsmitty6619 03-10-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by drflaco216 (Post 1051316)
It really does depend on where you live though. I know up here in Cleveland 50 is the legal limit but in Florida you can do 35 to 20 no problem. I've heard of people tinting their front windshield but I didn't catch what % they were using. With me now owning a black car I'm trying to figure out if I should go with 50 or 35 all around. I don't want to get tickets over tint.

21% on silver it doesnt look that dark but i have it all the way around with a eyebrow on the front

FezA4 03-11-2009 10:59 AM

50% on the front is intense. You'd be lucky to get 70% and not get pulled over regularly. I have 50% all around (besides windshield) and I've gotten a couple tickets for it. (same hometown cop giving me shit)

My opinion, leave the windshield be, they will give you crap about it if you really do anything to it. Stick to everything but the windshield and play it safe. Check your state laws on legal %.

bigtm792 03-16-2009 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i have never heard of anyone tinting the front windshield. i know in here in ohio its highly illegal. i did 15 percent all the way around on mine a few months ago and i think it looks quite the sexy. heres what it looks like now.

Attachment 46643

Attachment 46644

but again i will say... stay away from the widshield.. for your own sake.

JDS1985_B7 03-26-2009 02:27 AM

5% Tint on the side windows and 35% on the rear window.
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/pic...pictureid=3430

Pro's of dark tint: 1. No One can see the money you’re saving with Gieco sitting on the floor or Next to you. 2. Mexicans in traffic can’t see your g/f, which means they won’t follow you while whistling and waving oranges.

Cons of Dark tint: 1. if you’re a bad driver, meaning you cannot judge the distance between your rims and a curb, I recommend not getting them tinted dark. 2. If you cannot afford to replace them in the event the long DCiK of the law happens to FCUK you, don’t get your windows tinted.

Aside from that enjoy life and give a homeless guy a 5 dollar bill, then if you ever see him again, ask him for some spare change and smile.

kitvan 01-13-2011 04:12 PM

I'm also wondering what % of tint to get... need suggestions.

I live in CA and I'll be getting my Lava Gray/Titanium A3 sometime next week.

I want some tint on the front windows, but I don't want to worry about tickets...
Then I want some darker tint around the back, but not so dark that it looks unnatural on top of the lava gray.

Right now I'm considering getting 50% on the front and 30% around the back.

Anyone have any suggestions?

B7Night 01-13-2011 05:13 PM

Just check your states laws. Michigans are a pain. You can't mess with the windshield, and on the front doors, the tint can only go down four inches from the top. The other windows aren't really specified. My car came from Nebraska, and the 35% was legal there. It looked cool, but I didn't want to deal with the Michigan police, so off it went. There are a few known areas where they really enforce the rules. Also be careful with the rear window. The tint on my car caused the headlights coming from behind to glare around the defroster grid making it had to see what was behind me. It also messed up the auto dimming feature of the rearview and side mirrors.