B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Im scared to purchase an 07-08 A4

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Question Im scared to purchase an 07-08 A4

Hello all. you guys have some clearing up to do! lol i Just sold my baby my EVO. I am done with the whole modding thing, my bank cant takeit anymore so its time i relax and get something nice i can drive around in, i know it wonthae the power im used to but once again im not looking to take people on off the light! lol

The reason im scared to purchase an 08 A4 with 79k miles is because i hear horror stories from Audi drivers. I hear all kinds of issues and i dont want to go from a fast car that gave me my issues here to a carthat has less than half the power to still give me issues but ALOT more expensive.

i had 3 options it was a Lexus IS250 AWD, Audi A4 AWD, and a 3 series IX model (AWD). Why the AWD? well for starters my EVO was AWD and LOVED it cant go back, and... well i live in Maryland so Snow here in winter is NO JOKE. Please let me know what i should do! its really inbetween the A4 and the 3series BMW. i know this is an AUDI forum but what would you suggest? im sure this A4 im looking at has no warranty left so any issues will probably be out of pocket, but i do hear these cars last for a GOOD while so that caught my attention. PLEASE catch me up on the CONS.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Edison528
Hello all. you guys have some clearing up to do! lol i Just sold my baby my EVO. I am done with the whole modding thing, my bank cant takeit anymore so its time i relax and get something nice i can drive around in, i know it wonthae the power im used to but once again im not looking to take people on off the light! lol

The reason im scared to purchase an 08 A4 with 79k miles is because i hear horror stories from Audi drivers. I hear all kinds of issues and i dont want to go from a fast car that gave me my issues here to a carthat has less than half the power to still give me issues but ALOT more expensive.

i had 3 options it was a Lexus IS250 AWD, Audi A4 AWD, and a 3 series IX model (AWD). Why the AWD? well for starters my EVO was AWD and LOVED it cant go back, and... well i live in Maryland so Snow here in winter is NO JOKE. Please let me know what i should do! its really inbetween the A4 and the 3series BMW. i know this is an AUDI forum but what would you suggest? im sure this A4 im looking at has no warranty left so any issues will probably be out of pocket, but i do hear these cars last for a GOOD while so that caught my attention. PLEASE catch me up on the CONS.
After you learn how to improve your typing skills I would go with the Lexus IS250 or better yet the IS350. If you want to go with an Audi then get the 3.2.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Keep digging. You can do better than 80k miles on an '08. I found an '06 (quattro) last year with 35k miles on it. Other than typical used car stuff, it's been pretty much problem free so far (and, no I don't have a warranty because it was already 4 years in-service when I bought it). If you can do any of the work yourself, that's an even bigger plus.

Keep in mind that most forums like this are filled with people looking for solutions to problems. So, it's going to be a bit over-balanced with people who have had issues (and some of them weird ones) with their cars. Just take the negatives you hear here with a grain of salt. The issues I would put most stock in are

1) Consuming oil (all turbo-charged engines do it, but some seem a lot worse than others). My '06 never needs topped off between oil changes.
2) The cam follower issue which as of '08 seems to have been fixed. As of last month, Audi is fixing problems with the cam follower in older B7s under warranty, so you shouldn't have to worry about that one.

I got the Audi because of the way they handle and I love it. Drive them all and get the one you like the best and is the best value (for you). Keep in mind that with some fairly low-cost adjustments/tuning, you can get a lot more out of the Audi/VW 2.0T engine. The 3.2, not so much.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
2nd Gear

Can't speak the other two cars, but I do love my A4. Only had it for about 3 months now, but no issues have creeped up and I just topped 70k miles. My car also has not yet used any oil (only clocked 3K in miles though).

I had an A6 before that I got rid of to get a car with better fuel economy. Neverthought about an A4 at that time and a year later I was trading my Mazda3 for the A4.

Taken care of you can easly go 200K on these cars (with some here exceeding that). You can get 08s with a CPO for under $25K (that is dealer askign price around me). I couldn't afford that so I opted for a high mileage 08 for about $7K less. Would have liked a CPO car. Peace of mind is a nice thing to have.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear

Your mileage seems a bit high. Personally I would not buy a german car without warranty. If that is what you want then at least have the cam follower (2.0t) checked and replaced as part of the deal. That will be your biggest possible issue. Have you looked at the C300 awd? I got one and love it!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Hi Edison528. I have owned my 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro for a little over 2 months now. Bought as a CPO with 36K miles, it's sticker price was at $24,700 at an Audi dealership. I'm in Georgia. I wanted my first Audi A4 to be a Quattro. My wife's is an Acura RDX and loved it compared to my FWD Japanese cars previously owned. I also wanted the CPO being it's my first German car and I got alot of info. from reading these forums. Glad I got the CPO, for 2 minor issues thus far. The front passenger window motor needed replacing (stopped going automatically up and down), and my driver seat motor needed replacing (stopped moving up and down too). I lucked out too b/c for the CPO, the 35K mile service was just done along with some other minor services. I also test drove a 2007 and 2008 IX, but thought the A4 was more fun (in the interior) to drive. I was nervous too when I shopped around for what is now my great purchase.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Hear that!

Hey bro, hear you there. I am looking at our first Audi--an '08. It looks like many people have trouble free cars--others, not so much. Shop around for a long while and you'll score a deal. With the CPO you are gambling that the car will break. If your car has over 50K, think that you only have 2 yrs coverage on it. Price accordingly. Will you incur COVERED bills (not brakes, hoses, belts, etc) in excess of $2500-3000 ( what I've seen as the CPO) premium over non CPO cars--in those two years. Maybe......maybe not. Look for good docs on the car's maintenance---then ROLL THE DICE BABY!
Hope you dont end up with snake eyes!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Well I bought my A4 new in July 2007 and it now has 45tmls. The only issue's I had was 2 coil packs and 1 PCV all replaced under warranty. Now Audi has the 120tmls or 10 year extended warranty on the Cam Follower etc so I do not see what the problem is with buying any A4 B7! For more power you should check out the S4 or RS4. Both are V8's. For fuel economy the 2.0T is the way to go though, unless you can get a hold of an A4 with the 2.0TDI or 3.0TDI.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

I felt the same way as you do so do what I did, buy from Carmax and get their bumper to bumper warranty. All of their warranties are 6 years now and a total mileage of 75k, 100k, or 125k. For $2200 I got the 100k mile option with a $200 deductible and my 2008 only had 40k miles on it. So I'm golden for the next 60k miles or 6 years. And if something cheap brakes (under $200) I'll just use my Chilton's manual to repair it. I also love carmax because you can buy almost any car they have from anywhere in the country. Sure beats the hell out of any local dealership's offerings and the warranty just made it a slam dunk.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

If you want trouble free go with the Lexus. The audi is not as reliable and you could have major issues. Piston rings needing replacing due to high oil consumption is a greater than $5k to be fixed.
Also, "normal oil consumption" is a quart every 2000 miles or so. This can get really expensive just on oil purchase. Factor that in with the gas mileage and you get a not so efficient car. I love my car - looks and interior are great but mechanically it is average at best. Check true delta or consumers reports and you will see reliability is not the strong point of these cars.

Quick Reply: Im scared to purchase an 07-08 A4