B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

A/C and heat acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default A/C and heat acting up.

Hey guys,

I just got an 2011 A4 Quattro 2.0t fsi and I’m having some issues with the heating and a/c systems. I want ask before I go ahead and take 10 years off my life taking the dash off to get to the heater core.

The problems are:

1. Windshield (primarily) and windows fogging up way too much. To the point that all I can do is use a paper towel (and yes, I know how to use the defogger and yes,I know how to clean windows).

2. Passanger side blows hot air but driver side doesn’t. A/c not working and button won’t stay on, I click it and the light just flashes once, but won’t stay on. (Maybe loss of pressure in the system? Maybe heater core is leaking!?)

3. Slight smell of coolant in the cabin. Specially when I turn on the ignition. But I had a big mystery coolant leak on the rear passenger side of the engine that I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, it stopped, I added some more coolant to the reservoir, and it’s been 2 weeks with no leak. So the smell could be a dirty carpet from me stepping on the coolant when the leak happened, me being paranoid about worst case scenarios, or the heating core is leaking!!!

Any thoughts? Should I replace the heating core? Flush it? Sell the car? (Jk I love it)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Pabz007
Hey guys,

I just got an 2011 A4 Quattro 2.0t fsi and I’m having some issues with the heating and a/c systems. I want ask before I go ahead and take 10 years off my life taking the dash off to get to the heater core.

The problems are:

1. Windshield (primarily) and windows fogging up way too much. To the point that all I can do is use a paper towel (and yes, I know how to use the defogger and yes,I know how to clean windows).

2. Passanger side blows hot air but driver side doesn’t. A/c not working and button won’t stay on, I click it and the light just flashes once, but won’t stay on. (Maybe loss of pressure in the system? Maybe heater core is leaking!?)

3. Slight smell of coolant in the cabin. Specially when I turn on the ignition. But I had a big mystery coolant leak on the rear passenger side of the engine that I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from, it stopped, I added some more coolant to the reservoir, and it’s been 2 weeks with no leak. So the smell could be a dirty carpet from me stepping on the coolant when the leak happened, me being paranoid about worst case scenarios, or the heating core is leaking!!!

Any thoughts? Should I replace the heating core? Flush it? Sell the car? (Jk I love it)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
You're over reacting. Do a system pressure test on the coolant system. See what you get and go from there. Also do a pressure test on the AC system . Based on results see what needs to be done. Check fuses and any relays and switches. It is rare for a heater core to go bad so I would check all hoses and fittings in the engine compartment.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jagtoes
You're over reacting. Do a system pressure test on the coolant system. See what you get and go from there. Also do a pressure test on the AC system . Based on results see what needs to be done. Check fuses and any relays and switches. It is rare for a heater core to go bad so I would check all hoses and fittings in the engine compartment.
Sounds good I’ll have it done this weekend and circle back see what happens!

Thanks for the advice

Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

So I did a pressure test on the and ran a full scan on the car.
Had a code for low pressure on the Hvac system. Bought one of those cans from autozone and refilled it. A/c now works windows are not fogging up bc of the a/c.
I still smell coolant in the cabin, and the oil temperature gauge fluctuates between 1/4 and 1/2. I’ll try to do a pressure test on the coolant and see if there is a leak.
Any suggestions on the temperature fluctuating ?