B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

EPC and CEL with rough/low idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
1st Gear
Default EPC and CEL with rough/low idle

I have a 2011 A4, with about 5k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I brought it in for its 5k service, and that morning was the first time this happened. When I started the engine that morning it ran really rough and at low idle (prob around 800-900 RPM) for about 5 seconds, and the CEL and EPC lights were on. The lights went out after a few seconds, and it ran fine. I mentioned it to the tech when I dropped it off, but they couldn't find anything wrong. It hasn't happened since then. Then it happened again this morning . Only this time was for about 10 seconds.

Has anyone else had an issue with this, or have any idea what it could be? It has only happened twice so far, so I'm not overly concerned at this point, but I don't want it to turn into something big.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by idgara73612
I have a 2011 A4, with about 5k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago I brought it in for its 5k service, and that morning was the first time this happened. When I started the engine that morning it ran really rough and at low idle (prob around 800-900 RPM) for about 5 seconds, and the CEL and EPC lights were on. The lights went out after a few seconds, and it ran fine. I mentioned it to the tech when I dropped it off, but they couldn't find anything wrong. It hasn't happened since then. Then it happened again this morning . Only this time was for about 10 seconds.

Has anyone else had an issue with this, or have any idea what it could be? It has only happened twice so far, so I'm not overly concerned at this point, but I don't want it to turn into something big.
I have experienced the same thing with my 2011 A4. We have roughly the same mileage and its happened to me 3 times now. I gave it a little throttle and both warning lights went away and it started idling normally. Just like you, i am not overly concerned, but would like to know what the issue is...

Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

I, too, have this same problem. It started right after my first service. I am suspicious whether my ECU was flashed (as part of the service?) and that the new software is doing this. This problem never once happened to me before my first service.

What I have noticed though; is that if I leave the a/c on the night before (when I turn the car off), then there's a very good chance that it will do it the next morning. Lately, I have been shutting the a/c off before I turn the car off, and all has been good.

I did a Google search on this issue to see if we're alone, and we are not. Check out this link:

Shaking and sputtering idle on startup ??? WTF??

Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned

you guys just aren't doing it properly.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esandes
you guys just aren't doing it properly.
What is it that we are not doing properly? Starting the car...lol

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fritze18
I, too, have this same problem. It started right after my first service. I am suspicious whether my ECU was flashed (as part of the service?) and that the new software is doing this. This problem never once happened to me before my first service.

What I have noticed though; is that if I leave the a/c on the night before (when I turn the car off), then there's a very good chance that it will do it the next morning. Lately, I have been shutting the a/c off before I turn the car off, and all has been good.

I did a Google search on this issue to see if we're alone, and we are not. Check out this link:

Shaking and sputtering idle on startup ??? WTF??
Good find, I have read through the whole thread and will go to my dealer armed witht this information.

Will post results after my visit.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

chalk me up too. '11 with 6000 miles on it. Rough start twice in the last 7 days.

Let me know what you come back with from the dealer. Read that other thread and this seems like a common problem, plus there's a TSB for it. Luckily no one seems to not have their car kick over yet...