B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Looking to possibly purchase an A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking to possibly purchase an A4

I've been lurking the forum for quite some time, looking over threads and doing some research, but I always like to hear from owners what their thoughts have been, and find out any known issues that I should be aware of.

I'm looking at getting into a 2013-2014, possibly a 2015 A4

I do have a few questions, as I'm not that familiar with the Audi lineup and the different lines confuse me at times:

- Is there a specific A4 trim I should be seeking over others?
- What are some known issues I should be aware of? I've driven and own my fair share of luxury vehicles so I'm aware of the added costs it brings, but I want to make sure I'm not stepping into a specific model, trim or year that I should not be
- Any known turbo issues I should be aware of?
- Those that drive in the cold, snow covered climates in winter months, how's it handle? I would of course get winter tires, but we get dumped on heavily where I live in Canada so need to ensure it can handle it.

- Those of you owning the model years I'm researching, what have your experiences been like?

Thanks for any help & feedback you guys can offer my way!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM
3rd Gear

I put almost 200k miles on my A6 and it was my primary winter driver, often crossing Michigan (I-96) in terrible whether. I ran Pirelli P6s and Conti ExtremeContacs. I now have an A4, again a winter driver. I owned Jeeps many years ago. By far the Audi is a fantastic winter car even with all-season tires.

Stay away from 2011 and earlier 2.0Ts due to oil issues. I believe they were resolved 2012-on. Go to the Audi website and build a new one to gain a sense of the options and packages. It's been a while, but basically each package from S-Line to Premium to Premium+ adds stuff to the prior package. I have been extremely satisfied with the Premium+ that I now own. I have 130k miles on it and everything works fine.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 A4 Trim - Issues - Comments

I have owned my 2011 A4 for 6+ years.

TRIM
I have the Premium Plus. For me, this was the sweet spot that gave me all I needed and wanted. The jump to Prestige just seemed too expensive and the bang for the buck wasn't there. Each person has to do their homework, compare the equipment and features available on each trim level and then make their own choice.

ISSUES
The only warranty item I've had was a 'universal joint' in the steering went bad. It does burn more oil than most, but not bad or a big deal. The steering wheel is wrapped in real leather, so you have to be careful if you have anything sharp or jagged in your hand, even temporarily while getting in or out of the vehicle.

COMMENTS
This is the smoothest driving car I have ever had, and I've had a few, but never of German engineering. The engineering of the suspension is great and it takes a curve wonderfully. I also like the cabin layout - very ergonomic and beautiful. The seats are just a little narrow - do I need to lose some pounds?. I would prefer a rear-wheel drive - if I get another, I'll get the quatro. The 2.0 4Cyl lacks torque for a smooth launch from a dead stop. A 2.5 or 3.0 would improve that, but it's not Audi's strategy. At speed, no issues.

Bottom line, I would and may buy this car again.

Best
Warthogge