B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Low Oil Pressure - Clear Upon Oil Refill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:33 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Low Oil Pressure - Clear Upon Oil Refill?

I recently got a 2011 model quattro.

The past few weeks since my first oil change, I ran into the low oil pressure problem. Here are a few info you might find helpful:

- I did a regular oil change (my bad on this one for not carefully research my car)
- I ran into low oil pressure problem after a week or so, I brought to mechanics and had it switched to synthetic. That's the only thing they did after full diagnostics, and the low oil pressure problem gone away.
- The problem still occurred, this time I got check engine lights on (P0299, P0016, P0341). I brought the car to mechanics but told them to check the oil pressure. They checked and got 21 psi. They refilled oil and got 26 psi and so the warning light never came on. But I don't feel like that solved the problem.
- The warning light came on every time (most of it) I brake to make a turn (more often on right turns than left turns). After the car beeped 3 times and the light went away, but reoccurred whenever I braked and cornered.
- I still have P0299 and P0016 check engine lights on. And I also experience hard start (long cranking)

I did some research online and found that someone had the same problem (low oil pressure when brake) and the crankcase vent valve was cracked on his car.

Could that be the case on my car too? Anyone can suggest anything?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by vatmnhat; 07-29-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

The low oil pressure sensor usually triggers between 5-10 PSI. Any pressure that low at idle could be a problem . Also at what RPM was the 26 PSI taken. That also sounds low so I would have it checked by another mechanic. I would 1st check the sensor to make sure it is working correctly. The next area of potential problem would be the oil pump and the worse case would be the bearings.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

Thank you jagtoes.

I don't know if the 26 psi was taken when idle or running. If it is the bearing problem, would the warning light be triggered even when I start up the car? The light never comes on upon ignition.

The warning light especially comes on when I do right turns, and even more frequently if the turn is sharp; it does less occasionally however during brakes, and virtually none when I make left turns. At high speeds in general, or when I drive straight, the light never comes on.

If it's the oil pump, it would come on more frequently and stay there (right?).