B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 a4 86k

So I'm the 2nd owner of my 2011 A4. I've had it for 3 years and my oil consumption has increasingly gotten worse, especially over the past 6 months. I'm now topping off a quart every 300 miles or less
My car is at my local Audi dealer today for part 1 of the oil consumption test. they are charging me $225 for each part of the test. I questioned what happens if I fail both parts of the test since I'm already over the 80K 'warranty'. I was told by the dealer that each case is being evaluated individually by Audi and that it's worth the shot. So here we go....wish me luck,

Old 10-03-2017, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

I'm in the same boat, although the original owner took it through part 1. Since I have over 125k miles, I just pour in a quart every 400-500 miles. It seems to consume more in start/stop use and a lot less in long distance high speed driving. Let us know the results.

My indie shop also mentioned there might be a "new product" that might help with the consumption, but my A4 has been off the road for the summer and I won't be investigating until the first oil change. Depending upon what I find out and results, I'll re-post.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

I bought my 2011 A4 in 2013. It was a CPO car with 31000 miles on it. It really didn't burn much oil at the time. It now has 65000 miles on it and is burning about 1 quart every 400 to 500 miles. Since it is under the 80000 mile and 8 year mark it should be covered. I took it to the dealer for it's scheduled service and mentioned the oil issue. He said they would do the oil consumption test. He called that day and said I had a leak in the main seal (no oil on my garage floor) and that it was probably not the cause of the oil consumption. He said Audi would not do the oil consumption test unless that issue was fixed. The price for that job was estimated to be $2000. I guess I'm stuck.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2011 A4 and i was told that my car had a recall for the oil consumption.. I took it to the Audi dealership and they tested it and said it did not have that problem... that was at 35,000 miles but here I am at 56,000 and from 49,000 to 56,000 I have put 3 quarts of oil in it.... Is this normal for Audi's? This is my first time owning one and I'm starting to feel like I have stepped into a problem!!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by j_nanny2006
Just an FYI I also work at an Audi dealer. Audi is taking care of the oil consumption on the cars in this 2009 area. But be patient as they can take 2-3 steps to get through the oil consumption tests. First step is a TSB that replaces the pcv valve, crank seal & bolt, and a software update. Then they have you bring it back to check on the consumption rate after that. If it is out of limits Audi will provide auth to replace the pistons and rings. If you all have any questions feel free to let me know. I have an 09 and have been on both sides of the counter with this issue so have some experience with it. I'm 2500 miles and no consumption issues even with APR tuning in mine. Most dealerships should know about this but don't let them run you off tell them to search for the TSB and perform the needed repairs and tests.
Hi, I have a 09 with 62,000. I went to an Audi and they performed state 1 twice because they didn’t believe the car consumed so much oil. Now they are telling me that I have to pay 2,500 just to open the motor so that they can check how bad the motor is. And only then they will decide what they’ll cover. What should I do?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by j_nanny2006
Just an FYI I also work at an Audi dealer. Audi is taking care of the oil consumption on the cars in this 2009 area. But be patient as they can take 2-3 steps to get through the oil consumption tests. First step is a TSB that replaces the pcv valve, crank seal & bolt, and a software update. Then they have you bring it back to check on the consumption rate after that. If it is out of limits Audi will provide auth to replace the pistons and rings. If you all have any questions feel free to let me know. I have an 09 and have been on both sides of the counter with this issue so have some experience with it. I'm 2500 miles and no consumption issues even with APR tuning in mine. Most dealerships should know about this but don't let them run you off tell them to search for the TSB and perform the needed repairs and tests.
j. nanny 2006, if you are still available or anyone here who can help...i would like to know if this oil consumption problem you are noting on a4 2009, 10, and 11 still persisted to the 2012 model. I am planning on getting a used 2011 or 2012 a4 2.0 or 1.8l whichever i find first, but then im quite afraid and scared now that maybe i will run into these models which had unrectified oil consumption problems. the most scariest will be that if that happens i might not be able to ship back the car coz i do not know of any approved audi dealers here in harare zimbabwe who might be able to provide those fixes in the event the inevitable happens...so may you please help me then, before i get headlong with this problem. which engine type and of what year is safe from this oil consumption problem for the a4 sedan 2.0l 0r 1.8l
your help will be much appreciated

Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

My 2011 2.0T has the oil consumption problem. It has varied in usage, but currently uses a quart of oil every 400-500 miles. With 133k miles on the vehicle, I am out of luck for warranty repair. My indie shop has done an oil additive treatment meant to clean the rings and this has resulted in minor improvement in how quickly it uses oil.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

Can anyone tell me if the VIN can be ran and see if it's in the affected range? The Car is a 2010 A4 2.0T w65,000mile, owner says he never had an oil consumption problem but with the car not being from a dealer im pretty nervous about this whole piston ring thing. I have an 2002 A4 and never had any real issues with the car but its time for a different one and I try to do my homework. Have a good friend that works at the closest Audi dealership and told me he could look up the VIN and see if anyting was every done (pistons and rings) or if its in a certain VIN range that was built. Any answer at all would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:03 AM
1st Gear
Post 2010 a5 2.0 Cabriolet quattro - Oil consumption only above 65 mph?

Apologies if this is already covered, just couldn't find it in this thread. I have a 2010 a5 cabriolet 2.0. Has 83k on the car. Purchased in October, but had a bad oil consumption issue. Anyway, had the engine replaced with an engine from 2013, because I read that they had fixed the issue on the remodel year. Now, the oil consumption is solved, with the exception of when I go over 65 mph. I can drive all I want around town, and the oil level sensor says I am full on oil. But when I take it out on the highway above 65 for 5 minutes or more, the level will go down. Any ideas why that might be? I want to be able to take it on trips and not have to add oil all the time. I'm using valvoline syntheic, but next oil change I am planning on trying the Liquimoly oil to see if that shores it up at all. Any other thoughts?

Old 04-15-2021, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Default 2015 s4 DSG

❗️2015 Audi s4 DSG ❗️
the noise that happens when I turn my car off sounds something decompressing and then the rattle noise when starting up. I’ve noticed a similar feeling when it downshifts to 1st & 2nd. Not as loud, but feels like that sound (if that makes sense) Transmission fluid was just changed (nothing wrong with it, just did it) but no issues with gears. It’s been consuming oil and has a slightly rougher idle/drive. Smells like burning oil when I get on it. I’m thinking the PCV valve, but I’m unsure. There’s no leaks or engine codes. I did just have my flex pipe replaced if that has anything to do with this. I’m trying learn! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption information!! GOOD NEWS!!!