B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Sunshade wont extend on panoramic roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:43 PM
1st Gear
Angry Sunshade wont extend on panoramic roof

Hey all, I'm not finding much info on this after searching the web for a few days so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or knows the answer.

I have a 2009 Audi A4 Avant (B8). One day in the winter I retracted the roof sunshade and it wouldn't move when I went to close it again. My thought was maybe some water leaked and froze or such so ran with it, that being said the roof glass works flawlessly. Well, we've had a couple high 70s and low 80s days here and the sunshade still won't do anything. I hear a click in the back when I press the button (sounds like a relay) but I've never heard the motor try to do anything. I've held the close or open buttons for extended periods of times as I've seen that can re-calibrate the sunshade, but again nothing.

I then tried giving the metal bar on the front of the shade a firm push and pull while pressing either buttons to see if it was stuck - but it doesn't feel stuck. I did notice the passenger side is possibly broken, the bar is detached from a black plastic clip which is in the sunshade groove. I'm unsure if this is related to my problem or if I'm now just noticing it.

So with that all being said, anyone got any pointers for me? Any help would be extremely appreciated! I have a big trip coming up and it would be nice to not be in the sun on long days.