B8 Models Please discuss all 2009+ B8 A4 topics here...

Timing Chain Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Timing Chain Replacement

Greetings all,
I recently decided to attempt changing my timing chain, as I simply can't afford to pay the dealer. I've watched a few videos on youtube, but there are some items that aren't addressed in the videos that I am guessing are common sense for seasoned mechanics. Here are my questions:
Does the car need to be in neutral and off all 4 wheels before I start (I have a Quattro)?
Does the oil need to be drained?
How can I ensure timing is correct if it wasn't properly aligned to begin with? (Chain was skipping)

Just so you understand what I am asking....here is where I'm at and I'll gladly take any pointers to get it done properly. I was informed by the Audi dealer that my upper timing chain was stretched and I needed to replace my tensioner, also that I am getting a waste gate error. I started off the process already by lifting the front end on to jacks, back end is still on the ground, and the car is in Park. I removed the front end for access and I've also removed the upper and lower timing covers already as well. I started to remove the chain, but I can clearly see that the markings don't line up. In the videos that I've seen on youtube, it's only a matter of cranking the shaft until you see the markings line up, hold it in place, and then replace the chain. However, It seems that I may have to turn the intake and exhaust camshafts independently to the correct position. How would I know if they are positioned correctly?

At this point, I suppose my next steps are to lift the rear end and place the car in neutral. But beyond that...I'm stuck. I don't want to put the chain back on without ensuring the timing is correct. Please help. Thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear

Wow. I would never try this without expertise. As long as the vehicle is in neutral, you should be able to rotate the engine to align the timing marks. I was under the impression that there is a special tool for holding the two cams in alignment when installing the chain - in the back of my mind I recall my indie shop guy telling me that it is not a cheap tool. Wish I could be more help - good luck.