New S8... I don't get it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 AM
1st Gear
Default New S8... I don't get it?

I just got back from the DC Auto Show and stopped by the Audi booth to get the 'official' 06' Lineup Brochure. The S8 is listed in there with the other A8s (V8 and W12) and according to this brochure the HP and Performance numbers (450HP, 5.0sec 0-60mph) are IDENTICAL for both the S8 and the W12?

That leads me to the question, why even bother with an S8? The S-line is supposed to be the performance leader in the segment, and why bother introducing a new engine in to the lineup when it doesn't really add anything? They could've just put the RS4 powerplant in their, tweaked it and gotten the same ratings? The 4.2 is a bulletproof well tested engine and even the W12 has a couple of years under its belt, and MANY years if you figure its just two VW/Audi 6's bolted together.

My only guess is that they are using the S8 as a testbed to debug the V10 for the its R8 introduction next year. Therefore, I'd be even MORE hesitant to buy.

Just a thought...

Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Administrator
Default RE: New S8... I don't get it?

u see the TQ numbers
the S8 has
450hp/398lbs/ft

the A8 W12
450 hp/428 ft-lbs.
more TQ

theres a diffence in the two besides the engine, im sure the S8 has firmer suspension and better brakes a more aggressive transmssion setting

Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

i'd expect there to be more of a difference though. I mean it's the S line you know?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: gapa8

My only guess is that they are using the S8 as a testbed to debug the V10 for the its R8 introduction next year. Therefore, I'd be even MORE hesitant to buy.

Just a thought...
That's an interesting theory. If you are right, then it will be a real marketing nightmare in both the S8 and S6, since both are to have the V10. I guess one could think of any new model going into production as a test bed. I read some pretty terrible things about the new Acura RL's AWD system for 2006 and how they let it out too soon - and one doesn't normally think of Acura's as unreliable. We should look at previous Audi new model releases to see if this is common company practice to test models with customers in the field and not base your theory simply on the engine size/configuration. I haven't read about much of that here, but I haven't read the whole forum either. You are probably right on track with the idea that Audi will learn a great deal for the R8 by getting the V10 out in production though. But that doesn't have to be bad news for S8 and S6 owners.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

I just am confused by the placement in the lineup.. The W12 is supposed to be the 'luxury' version and the S is supposed to be the 'Performance'. I think Audi committed an 'ooops' here and should have followed Mercedes lead and offered a Supercharged 8 or a turbocharged 12 on the S.. This greed for getting more product out there is really causing a problem with their marketing dept. In the past it was quite simple, you had the base model, the luxury model, and then you had the 'S' or performance model.
That was evident with the 3.7L A8 (base), 4.2Q(Luxury) and the S8 (performance). THe S gave a 60Hp jump and alot of performance upgrades over the other luxury model. Of course you paid for it as it was the pinnacle of the line. Now its confusing... although the W12 weighs more than the S8, it has more torque and means identical acceleration numbers. Since the two cars cost around the same, the marketting dept. will have to put a heck of a spin on it to convince people there's really a difference.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

No spin will be required by the marketing gurus when the S handles and brakes better, plus has a more sporting, less floaty feel. Plus even though the 0-60s are the same, what about 0-100, 0-150? And I'm sure that all of the computer nannies will have the leash loosened to some degree, more aggressive stability control (for what that's worth), tighter, faster transmission, on the edge ABS. And who could forget, S car styling......

Performance cars are quite a bit more than just a 0-60 rating.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

great post guys, all theories and information in here are top quality.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

Visited one briefly at the Audi tent in Greenwich a couple weeks back, in addition to the Q7.

Even though this one's not really on sale yet (or is it? I dunno) I'm still more excited by the sight of a previous generation S8, perhaps its from watching Ronin too many times.

On a side note, the Audi tent was kind enough to serve free hot dogs, which was great cause it was raining and I was semi-miserable from not having eaten anything that day

[IMG]local://upfiles/10942/6B84061458F643DAAF023E9E6A078647.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10942/B204F8D62E0E4B96816ABB860A4ECA87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2006, 07:56 PM
4th Gear

Hans - Did you get to hear one of the V10s or did they not fire them up?

Old 06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Hans - Did you get to hear one of the V10s or did they not fire them up?
Nah, unfortunately not. The two Maybachs, the 57S and the 62, were the only cars that were idling during the show actually, spewing classical music and playing some concert on the dual screens in the back seat. I wonder how many tanks of gas they go through just idling from approx 9am till 5pm for two days.... I was tempted to stab the throttle on idling 62