Chop Shop Show off your designs here. Or post to have your fellow members do some photo shop work to your ride.

2004 S4 What Choice to make

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2004 S4 What Choice to make

Hello
All new here If this is in the wrong section please move.
So here is my question. I'm looking at buying a 2004 s4 I have found 2 almost identical one in my area one about 4 hrs away. The one in my area has
114,479 miles.
Modifications include:
Militek Cat-Back
Gutted Catalytic converters
2 sets of wheels with 15mm spacers
Southbend Stage 3 clutch
Southbend single mass flywheel
JHM Lighweight crank pulley
JHM snub mountCustom tune
Pioneer head unit with navigation and bluetooth
2 sets of wheels!
This car also has rust on the pass doors both front and rear and a fairly large door ding on the drivers door.
The owner also says he has all of the service records. He also told me when I test drove it that the timing service was done by the previous owner but he can not get the records for this although he has been trying.

# 2 is 4 hrs away and has this

104,400 Miles
Engine, clutch, and flywheel replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles - Have all paperwork/records
Runs like a 40,000 mile Audi
Audi RS5 Wheels

Engine and Transmission:
The biggest advantage of this particular S4 is that the engine, clutch, and flywheel were replaced under warranty at 65,000 miles. This generation of S4 (particularly 2004-2005 model years) had a faulty timing chain tensioner that commonly fails. If it fails, the entire engine needs to be replaced. The replacement engine has the updated timing chain tensioner that is NOT prone to failure. Beware of buying other S4's that have not had the engine replaced or timing chain completely serviced (engine needs to be removed from car for this due to the location of timing chain).
Oil and filter have been replaced every 3000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I just had it done on 12/26 at 104,200 miles, so you are good for another 3000 miles. It has never burned oil or required oil between oil changes. Fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel pump relay were replaced in 10/2015. Alternator, drivebelt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley were replaced 6/2014. Auxiliary radiators replaced 2/2014. Parts always replaced with OEM Audi parts when available. Exhaust is a cat-back system from Fast Intentions ($1200 system). Great exhaust note without being obnoxious.

Brakes and Tires:
Brake rotors and pads have been upgraded. Rotors are ECS Tuning GEOMET Cross-Drilled and Slotted. $280 for fronts. $180 for rears. Brake pads are EBC Red Stuff. $130 for fronts, $100 for rears. Front rotors and pads replaced 10/2015. Rear rotors and pads replaced 12/2014.
Tires are Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 XL.

Exterior:
Paint is in great condition. It's a 11 year old vehicle, so there are a bumper scratches, etc that come with the age, but all in all, the exterior is in great condition for its age. The wiper blades were replaced in June and still work great.

Interior:
Interior is in great condition. Non-smoking interior. The stock Recarco seats are so comfortable and fit like a glove. People sit in the car and notice it right away. Seats have no rips, tears, or stains. Dash is in great condition, no cracks or rips. All windows and locks work. The trunk auto-opener recently stopped working, but it can be opened with the key. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it. Rear seats fold down easily for more storage. Radio/CD/Cassette all work great. It has Sirius/XM satellite radio. Air conditioning was serviced and recharged last summer. It blows very cold. It heats up quickly and the front heated seats really help in the winter.

History:
I bought this Audi S4 in December 2013. I knew the previous owner and the history of the car. I purchased this particular S4 because the engine had been replaced. I looked at many different S4's but was reluctant to buy one without an updated timing chain tensioner. They are ticking time-bombs. Title is clean and there is nothing to hide with this car. I have all records in the form of hard-copy receipts, digital copies of those receipts, and an organized spreadsheet with all service done since I've owned it. My reason for selling is that I am buying an Audi RS4.

My big question is which one should I go with the one closest to me is 900.00 cheeper but I'm leaning toward the one 4 hrs away because of the engine.
Please give me your thoughts and opinions
Thanks