Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

1990 v8 Q Help*

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Default 1990 v8 Q Help*

I am having some trouble with my Audi v8, and its high time I asked for some help. The car was bought for me about a year ago from my dad as my first car. It was in great shape, and we happen to get it for only $500
However, the ignition was broken, and would cost an arm and a leg to have a mechanic fix it. As my dad suggested, I began to use these forums to try and find people with similar problems. And as luck would have it, we were able to fix it with $12 and my laptop

*****But now, I have a new problem, and haven't been able to find a solution. My instrument cluster is wacked out. It has been since the day we owned the car. The RPM, and the MPH works just fine, and so does the average gas mileage tracker, But everything else is pegged on start-up. This includes my temp gauge, oil pressure and temp, and my gas tank gauge. Am I experiencing some grounding issues?? I have gone through the fuses a hundred times over, a found nothing blown or broken. Also, my dome light that is supposed to come on when the car door is open, has never worked. I have replaced the bulb to no avail. That and the passenger seat warmer light does not glow, even after I replaced the whole control assembly thing.*****

Any help? Suggestions? Advice?
Anything anyone could offer would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM

i have the same problem with mine and the dam grounds. what fixed your ignition problem ? im haveing one at this time

Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Ummm im not too much of a pro at this, but it sounds like you have electrical issues, you have a 90 so that means wires are what you could call crusty maybe lol so I would refer to your 90 Audi repair manual to check out where your wires are for those areas you are talking about and also you checked all your fuses but did you make sure all numbers match like it has on your fuse box lid?

I have an 86 and going thru bad wires so I guess imma have to replace them(not all) too..