Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

New Guy's Question

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Default New Guy's Question

I'm new here. I'm also new to Audi. My wifes got a VW Jetta (06)with the TDI engine so far it's been a good car.

The reason I'm here is becauseI'm looking at a 1983 5000S with a 6 cyl. diesel engine with an automatic transmission. It's got about 80K on the clock and the present owner wants about $3K for it. I have no clue whether this is a good deal or not. Were there a lot of inherent problems with this model, engine or tranny? The A/C isn't working how hard/costly of a fix is this?I plan on using it for commuting and general running around.

I appreciate any and all help.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Default RE: New Guy's Question

5K never came with 6 cyl.
its probably a 5 cyl.

If its a turbo, then it be good on millage and low chance of turbo breaking off.
other wise they are solid cars.
and with 80K miles or Km its good low millage.

About A/C, well I would try using some sealant, oil and freon into the system, recharging and seeing if problem becomes a huge cost problem. But who needs A/C, I prefer personaly running with windows down and enjoying somewhat fresh air.

If you handy, then its a good car to fix up. I would do mainteinance on it like timing belt.
and I would try to get price to like 2.5K and see how it goes.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Guy's Question

Nice! Please post some pictures...it so rare to see a C2 Audi these days!, especially a diesel.

The older diesels are bomb proof, and return great MPG numbers.
Not many problems with the cars as they are soo under-stressed.
The most important thing is keeping up with the body work. They are prone to rust, depending on where you live.
With the A/C? Good luck...it's an older Audi, I've never had working A/C on any of my older German cars.
But you can get it leak tested...that's usually the case.