Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

'91 Audi 90 Quattro 20V Update

Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 AM
1st Gear
Default '91 Audi 90 Quattro 20V Update

For the first time in a long time, I've experienced a long streak of consistent progress on my Audi. I started by figuring out that I had two missing fuses for engine timing and replacing them. Then I had to replace the throttle valve potentiometer. I didn't get it on quite right, so I had to take it back off and readjust it, but now it seems to be on right if my understanding is correct. A couple weeks later (this past week), I installed new front sway bar end links which made a huge difference by tightening up the front end a bit and getting rid of clunkiness. Then I tightened the alternator belt which has been squeaking for a while, cleaned the ISV, and took it to a shop to have the exhaust fixed. Turns out I still have a leak at the back of the muffler, but at least the loud leak in front of the catalytic converter is fixed.

So here is a list of things I still need to fix:

Front right wheel bearing
Timing belt
Clicking noise from relay or something
Handbrake
Hydraulic pressure accumulator
Gauge cluster issues (odometer/LCDs)
ABS Sensor

The symptoms I'm experiencing right now include:

-A loud low humming when turning the wheel right at speed (noticeable most on gradual right hand curves). I've never replaced a wheel bearing before, so any advice on that in comments would be helpful. Not completely clueless; just lack of experience.
-I have no idea when the timing belt was last changed. I bought the car two years ago and have never changed it myself. I have never really daily driven the car though either, so it hasn't gone very far. Either way, it needs changed.
-The clicking noise is really random. It doesn't seem to happen for any particular reason or cause any specific problem. It's just a clicking noise almost like a loud turn signal (not the same as the actual turn signal) and it comes from under the dash far to the driver's side. I'm guessing it's a relay cycling on and off quickly or something.
-Handbrake is out of adjustment. I think the springs have seen better days.
-This is a problem I've had for a long time. The brake pedal is sometimes stiff for the first stop or two of a drive. ABS doesn't work. The power steering also has inconsistent assistance. So, possibly the pump but maybe the accumulator as well? Seems like a blip of the throttle can sometimes boost the steering assistance if it gets heavy when driving slowly like in a parking lot. Red "BRAKE" idiot light flickers or stays on most of the time I'm driving.
-The actual gauges on the gauge cluster function just fine, but the clock LCD sometimes isn't illuminated or is dim and the instant MPG readout display is "leaking" or something. I can still read the top half of the numbers, but not the bottom. Also the odometer and trip-meter are currently non-functional.
-ABS idiot light is on steady after a short amount of driving (not immediately upon starting the car). I've never felt the ABS kick in even in snow (but I haven't driven it in snow for well over a year).

Advice, tips, and wisdom are all appreciated. I will respond. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

CV axle, wheel bearing, water pump (for timing belt installation), coolant, Redline MT-90 transmission fluid, Pentosin hydraulic fluid. Wish me luck in being able to get it all done in only two days.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Do any of you know of any good write-ups on how to replace the front wheel bearing and CV axle (not expecting to have a write up of them both done at once, but if that exists, awesome!)? I've had a hard time finding a good walkthrough of that. I printed off a couple of instructions for the timing belt and water pump, but nothing for the bearing and axle.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Today was an interesting day of working on the Audi. My goals for the day were to change the front passenger-side wheel bearing and front driver-side CV axle. I got the hub off for the wheel bearing and discovered the axle on that side looking like this (compared with the new axle below it). I decided to replace the driver-side axle instead. The teeth that the ABS wheel speed sensor uses are completely worn away or something. No wonder I've had ABS issues ever since I bought the car.