Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

89 coupe quattro probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Default 89 coupe quattro probs

I am new here and i have more probs with my audi.. its at the dealer now but i wanted to ask some questions so i dont get taken too much (never owned an audi before). They are charing me something like 450 Euros!! for 4 new abs sensors!!!!! According to the 20V.org site, that seems a little high dont you think? But where else could i get the sensors?? I think the tranny leak and the new abs sensors are 1000 euros total, without tax (since we dont have to pay it). I dont have much of a choice though hehe.. i gotta get the car inspected by tomorrow.

Here are some other questions:
1. How hard is it to change the radiator?? Mine is leaking but not bad.. i put some aluseal in it.. but i want to replace it later on.
2. Air filter... can it be changed without taking the box apart
3. Window regulator cables... any place that sells them except for audi?? (audi wanted 500 euros for the cables alone@!!!! Even though the stuff is made here it seems to be really marked up!).

Man o man these things are expenive to keep on the road... but i love the car anyway

Old 11-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Default RE: 89 coupe quattro probs

450 euros is cheap for 4 abs sensor £101.33 plus vat "each"
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Parts.asp
check this site for parts in most cases they can beat Audi on prices

Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

that was exactly what i was gonna say. thats a good price. esspecially if that labour included. because from what i remember. a average place for a ABS sensor is $130usd each

Old 11-17-2005, 09:24 PM

I changed radiator by my self. I cannot say its hard, but also not easy. on scale of 10 I would give 6.5. you can read on my website. Also questions, I will amswer.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys!!!! Well, maybe it isnt a bad price then.. I hope they finish the car today, otherwise ill need to put it into non op status...and get new temp plates again next week.. then get it inspected.

I forgot to ask about the side mirror heaters... when i got my car there was no glass in the side mirrors.. i got some glass (for free) from a VW something or other.. but I didnt know if there is supposed to be some kind of element behind the glass that heats it or what. There are 2 green? wires behind the mirror glass. I just got the bently manual the other day.. lots of info for the car. I wanted to get my stuff working bec its really cold here in germany now, and im not used to it. I am from california hehe.

I would like to put the rad. in myself. Now, what brand is a good brand to get? I found one from Nissins? and some other ones.. ave price is about 175-210 USD... Thanks again for the help!! I will need more when i look into the car again hehe.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM

I have Nissens. they are light and made core from aluminium. which transferes heat faster and better. but they affraid of water!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM

also if you will do rad, then you could do water pump and timing belt easier.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

I dunno if i wanna tackle the timing belt and stuff just yet hehe im new to all this, i could prob screw something up pretty easy. I will prob get that done when my father in law comes to visit.. he works on cars all the time. So the Nissins one is good? So you just gotta use that phosphate free anti freeze in them instead of doing the water anti freeze mixture like it says in bentley? I think my heater core is fine.. no leaks or anything.. looks like a PITA to take out an replace too.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Heater core, yes a huge PITA but its quite easy if you keep all your screws. I know I didn't, lost half of them. to change heater core, you need to take all of the front off.
rad, its not as bad, also keep your screws.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

I got a question for you guys... the turn indicator lights next to the headlights are not working.. both of them... what could be the prob? I know i wont be able to pass the army inspection this way.. so any ideas where to start??

Quick Reply: 89 coupe quattro probs