Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

my odometer took a dump

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
Default my odometer took a dump

Well, we are leaving germany soon, so I have to sell my 89 Audi Coupe Quattro within the next couple months So I am trying to fix up a couple things that have come up. I know that my odo stopped working last year sometime. The Audi dealer wanted to sell me an entire cluster for 300 euro!!!! NOPE... I know whats wrong, thre is just a plastic gear inside that prob broke. Has anyone here fixed the odo gear? I have a broken up cluster from an Audi 80 that should have the same gear. I just didn't want to go tearing into my cluster without some input first. Taking the cluster out of my car isn't a prob.. didn't even have to take the steering wheel off.

I still get water on the pass. side floor.. can anyone tell me where the cowl drain or sunroof drain is located? Its prob clogged somewhere.

I am going to hate to see my car go. I bought it back to life after buying it from the AFB junk yard.. and its been a great car (for the most part) for 3 yrs. Audis are great cars, and german cars in general are great cars!!! If I could I would bring it back, but its not old enough Hopefully you guys can help me out so I can get her ready for a new owner. thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: my odometer took a dump

When the odometer failed on my 1988 90 I took it to an auto electrical shop. The odometer was repaired for about $150. It was not a gear but electrical components. I can't imagine you would not be able to find such a technician in Germany. These folks are usually small business people who fix the tachographs and speedometers of many company's trucks. Every truck company in the civilized world uses such technicians to maintain the tachographs on their trucks ( a tachograph records speed and time on a round chart to keep the drivers from cheating the company or speeding like feinds ). Ask around, they are out there.
Water on the passenger side floor usually means the heater core is leaking. Accessing this requires dashboard removal. A replacement heater core is a couple hundred bucks.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the info!!! I will see what i can find.

As for the heater core.. I thought this was the problem at first.. but if I parked it in the garage when it rained... i didn't get any water inside it. The only time it gets wet is when it rains. I will check it though

Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Hey Viper, are you an F-16 pilot stationed in Germany??? Nice duty for the speed addled mind :-)

Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear

hehe no im not. I wish I was in the AF though they have it a lot better than the army.