Classic Audi A section to discuss the models that have made Audi famous of the years...

Replacing the front shocks and struts on a 'classic' Audi 90

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Replacing the front shocks and struts on a 'classic' Audi 90

Hey everyone, it's Trevor. As the owner of a 'classic' 1995 Audi 90 Quattro, I know that finding parts is challenging, to say the least. So whenever I come across some info. that may be useful...I like to share it with others.

...Over the Thanksgiving holiday I found myself online, searching for auto parts. Specifically, a set of front shocks and struts. To my surprise, I stumbled upon some very affordable struts (part no. 2213-0032 or 9000-FS) on APX Auto Parts' website.

In addition to the price, a lifetime warranty was also being offered. My total was...$47.84 ! Not too shabby, right!?

Anyways, I hope this has been of some help...Particularly to those who may be looking to replace the shocks and struts on their Audi 90. I welcome the feedback. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

They're probably about the same as the ones on the 100's and the 5000SQ that I have. It's not that difficult a job but you'll have to take the strut assemblies off the car. You will need a spring compressor to take the pressure off the top spring plate which is held on my the nut at the top of the strut. Removing the strut also will require a re-alignment once you get it all back together.

You will probably need a pipe wrench to get the caps that hold the strut cartridge into the housing off. I use a 2X4 or a 5 or 6ft long piece of steel pipe to help push the lower control arm down enough to get the strut assembly off the ball joint. Do this before removing the nuts that hold the strut assembly to the top of the fender well.

Ebay is a great place to find parts for these older Audi's also.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

Thanks so much for the feedback, dave944. I'm not much of a DIYer, but I do have a network of 'skilled friends' who I go to for matters such as this...I'll definitely make it a priority to pass along everything that you suggested, sir. Thanks, again.