Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

2011 Audi A4 MMI & Apple iOS 8

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default 2011 Audi A4 MMI & Apple iOS 8

Hey Folks,

I own an 2011 Audi A4 Avant. I love the car to death. I am also an independent developer for Apple's iOS platform. Apple developers were recently provided with the final version of their iOS 8 operating system in advance of its upcoming release. I was dismayed to find today that my Audi was no longer able to access the address book on my iPhone via Bluetooth pairing since the upgrade to iOS 8. The phone is still able to pair with the car and phone calls can still be made through the car, however the car cannot access any of the phone numbers in the address book. This means that I can no longer press the button on the steering wheel such that I can ask the car to call one of the contacts in my address book. Additionally no address book entries display on the MMI screen if I try to access the address book manually through the MMI controls. I have tried unpairing the phone from the car and then re-pairing it with no luck and I have also confirmed in the iPhone's bluetooth settings that it is setup to share my address book with the car.

I've filed a bug report with Apple and I have also submitted this same feedback to Audi's customer support. Audi stated that the age of my car is the cause of the problem to which I felt forced to give them a piece of my mind.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Last edited by Carter Harrison; 09-15-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Do you expect Audi who is no afiliate of Apple to do a firmware upgrade every time Apple/Android builds a new OS??????????????????????????????

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

If my car is still under warranty (it is) and one of the features of the vehicle stops working, then yes I do expect Audi to release a firmware update to restore the functionality that I paid for. When Audi built the bluetooth technology into their cars and stated that it worked with Apple's iPhone then in my mind they are making a commitment to ensure that technology continues to work.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

I just upgraded my phone to iOS8 and have noticed some strange behavior with my 2014 A6. Hard to describe, and I hope it was just a flaky connection but ... calls were coming in and then locking up on the MMI without the audio coming through the car speakers. Then when the call dropped the MMI kept showing the call was in progress. Even after resetting the MMI ghost calls kept showing and the MMI wouldn't find the phone correctly.

If I see this again I'll report back with some more specifics but perhaps Apple has changed the bluetooth profile with iOS8 and now the MMI isn't connecting properly.

Also, given I have a 2014 I fully expect Audi to fix this.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Mmi-iphone ios8 issues

Same identical problem for me: since I have ios8 (now iOS 8.0.2) mmi gets stuck in "call in progress" mode without music audio e without possibility to do anything besides disconnect Bluetooth.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

I am having the same problem with my 2013 Q5. Any one know of any fix remedies?

Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Just to pile on .... I've seen this a few times now. I can't reproduce it exactly but it seems to be a timing issue. Either MMI starting up while the phone is connected, activating bluetooth after MMI is running, etc.

Also, an other thing I've noticed is that sometimes the MMI can't find my phone until I reset it.

Just noticed a few more threads via google.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6538777
Iphone 6 Not Functioning Correctly When Connect To Mmi | Audi-Sport.net

Old 10-12-2014, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

Hi I'm new here but may be able to help with this.
I had problems with my iPhone running 8.0.2 with my 2014 A3 Sport, not being able to answer calls, calls dropping etc and had tried many things. What worked for me is really quite simple.
On your phone go to Settings, FaceTime, and switch off iPhone Mobile Calls, ( maybe iPhone Cellular Calls ), reset your phone by pressing and holding the home and Power buttons until the Apple logo lights up and let the phone power up.
After doing this, my phone connected instantly without any problems.
Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Another great solution ANDROID never have an issue.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

Same issue here, it has come to me, that this is because Apple have recently created "Car Play" which they are trying to sell to car manufacturers. This is there tactic.

If you don't have car play, forget about using your iPhone without serious hassle or difficulty.

Apple this is pathetic.

GL boys I give up

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A4 MMI & Apple iOS 8