Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Is APR the best out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by vtraudt
I have the mods in place (FMIC, Upgraded Turbo, Test Pipe, clean exhaust, Intake, 30# injectors with 3bar pending), and are now deciding on the tune. What seems to be a good fit is GIAC PC16, and theoretically APR "STAGE III+", but on their website they don't offer the tune, and are not responding to my request. I have response from INMotion and GIAC, and contacted VAST, waiting for their offers.

Has anyone purchased and installed the APR Stage III+ TUNE (for K04)?

My impression of APR so far: they are too big to care (while the others are responsive, maybe because they are smaller?). Imagine how unresponsive they would be if YOU NEED THEM (vs. THEM INTERESTING IN SELLING TO YOU). I may give APR one more shot to response, but then they are OUT.
don't do it. I had them and it was nothing but trouble. car would have fuel cuts and they blamed my car as the problem. Went to apr and have been problem free. If you need for the ko4 apr has a file.
If not go to revo/uni. They allow for BT insted of the 6 grand price tag for APR's full stage 3 kit.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ocod2020
don't do it. I had them and it was nothing but trouble. car would have fuel cuts and they blamed my car as the problem. Went to apr and have been problem free. If you need for the ko4 apr has a file.
If not go to revo/uni. They allow for BT insted of the 6 grand price tag for APR's full stage 3 kit.
Who are you referring to with "I had them.." and "don't do it"? GIAC?

By the way:"If you need for the ko4 apr has a file." Apprently not (or to big, busy, don't want my business): Here is the official reply from APR after my second contact attempt:

"Unfortunately we do not offer K04 software for this vehicle."

Since APR in their words has nothing to offer (and they convince me mmore and more that they don't) (and won't sell their Stage III+ tune apparently), its has to be GIAC, etc. I guess. I have not checked into revo/uni.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Who are you referring to with "I had them.." and "don't do it"? GIAC?

By the way:"If you need for the ko4 apr has a file." Apprently not (or to big, busy, don't want my business): Here is the official reply from APR after my second contact attempt:

"Unfortunately we do not offer K04 software for this vehicle."

Since APR in their words has nothing to offer (and they convince me mmore and more that they don't) (and won't sell their Stage III+ tune apparently), its has to be GIAC, etc. I guess. I have not checked into revo/uni.
Hey, I meant w/In motion. I saw the car in question(98 A4) and yeah it may be hard to find tuner. I would suggest Revo b/c you could adjust timming, boost, and something else w/a SPS. Uni would be another. Did they offer explaination as to why it can't work? Does it have to do w/ECU. Giac offers solder chips. What have they said about doing tune?

Last edited by ocod2020; 03-02-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:39 AM

Here it goes, I had APR stage 1 for my B5 S4, I have driven many different S4's with different tunes, after running APR now I have the GIAC chip, I believe this is a more aggressive chip and it adjusts for new upgrades you do, with the APR there was no performance gains with new mods other than what it was set for. Also I would like to add, GIAC has a hand held switching unit now, also you can download the free vagcom software and switch it that way with laptop through the OBDII port (vagcom cable required), also they added a boost controller adjustment within their tuning now, So I suggest GIAC over APR any day of the week! AWE TUNING, VAST and JHM, they are all well known company's throughout the Audi community!

Last edited by 2001.5AUDIS4; 03-03-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:27 AM
2nd Gear

Hey, I meant w/In motion. I saw the car in question(98 A4) and yeah it may be hard to find tuner. I would suggest Revo b/c you could adjust timming, boost, and something else w/a SPS. Uni would be another. Did they offer explaination as to why it can't work? Does it have to do w/ECU. Giac offers solder chips. What have they said about doing tune?
The ECU shouldn't be the problem. They all use chips and solder (no one is using sockets, too unreliable). So the old one is ripped out, the new one put in. No matter what is/was in on the chip.

As to explanations from APR: a) they don't do K04 b) they don't sell their stage III+ software.

GIAC: the PC-16 seems a perfect fit, since FMIC is on the way, just 317cc at 3 bar injectors and 3 bar pressure regulator needed. List price for the file is $300.

INMotion: will custom tune based on VAG.com logs I think for $500

Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM

Wow, that's a great price for Giac flash.
If they are local that is even better.
I sent you a link if you were looking for the 386 tt in your other thread.
Yes, APR is **** w/software and/or hadware sold separately in their stage 3 bt kits and they are so expensive. Your better off building your own and going to other tuners.
BTW there was an article about how Garrett turbos quailty isn't what it was. I 'll try to find it for you.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear

Wow, that's a great price for Giac flash.
If they are local that is even better.
I sent you a link if you were looking for the 386 tt in your other thread.
Yes, APR is **** w/software and/or hadware sold separately in their stage 3 bt kits and they are so expensive. Your better off building your own and going to other tuners.
BTW there was an article about how Garrett turbos quailty isn't what it was. I 'll try to find it for you.
GIAC tune: I have yet to see an official proposal from them regarding the price. Keep in mind: its 'off the shelf' as far as I understand, unless they offer a 'tweak' based on VAGcom log with the tune (which would be the ideal). Not sure where GIAC is located, so they may not be 'local'.

Garrett turbos: I was lucky to find a true 'turbo guru' at Turbo Concepts. Nick has been doing turbos for race teams for 20 years. I brought him my 'stash' of 13 turbos I obtained from a friend. He was all over it, mainly because they are new old ones, commenting: 'they don't make them like that anymore; Garrett quality sucks now, and Borg Warner is messing with KKK as well'. So it seems confirmed what you (and the article you are referring to) is hinting at.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM

GL on the build.
It looks like you have a nice set up. You should post a pic..

Old 03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

GL on the build.
It looks like you have a nice set up. You should post a pic..
I wish...Currently car is at the transmission shop. New Southbend stage III clutch slipping.

Only when that is resolved, is it time to get things done (timing belt plus everything possible, FMIC), then VAGcom info and chip/tune.

Front end is clonking (suspect upper strut mounts?).

Still not done, because currently the dash looks like a christmas tree with all the lights blinking (no codes): ABS (likely module; standing by) Brakes, Airbag.

And the radio is (safety) locked out, the key fob remote does not open the doors (new batteries, and sender tested ok at Autozone) and the door handles (white) and the inside door panel look shabby (peeling) and need to be replaced.

THEN, it will be a really nice setup to drive (optically just ok, since paint is starting to show its age with scratches and stone chips).

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

take a look at unitronic software, im pretty sure you will be pretty amazed with it.