Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Do performence chips REALLY give as much power as they say

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Do performence chips REALLY give as much power as they say

I just got a 98 Audi a4 1.8T quattro and the first thing I wanted to do was buy an APR chip, the website says it will increase HP by 50 and the TQ by 80. That seems way too good to be true and it costs $500 so if anyone has one in there car or knows about them at all let me know if this is true or a scam.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Don't waste your money

The performance chips will remap some of your engine settings to gain maybe 3 to 5HP if that is the only upgrade you perform. If you upgrade your intake and exhaust systems you will gain maybe 10 to 30HP if you get the right combination, but I think your wasting your money.

Audi's, BMW's, etc. are optimized for maximum output with optimal gas mileage, without affecting critical engine components. Basically, when you make modifications, you can modestly increase performance, but it will be at the cost of mechancial reliability. I suggest you save the $2500 you'll end up spending over the next two years to gain maybe 30HP. You can use this money to buy a used Audi RS4, or S4.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

As someone who has modded a number of prior vehicles I well understand the desire to "chip" your vehicle. Typically as eastbaypix cites it's a sum of the parts thing, with ultimately more being required than just the ECU tune (aka 'chip'). You'll want a high flow Cat, better intake and exhaust and possibly also a higher boost turbo. Also keep in mind that there's no free lunch - to get that add'l performance you're going to burn more and higher octane fuel, not to mention potential reliability issues.

The 1.8T is remarkably tunable, but there's truly no replacement for displacement.

Not to dissuade you, just be sure you get all the facts and have reasonable cost vs. performance expectations (and know when to quit!).

Old 03-24-2011, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Well APR is now having a sale on ECU tuning so I'm going to get one, knowing ill need an intake and probly just go with a downpipe to replace the cats, hope that wont sound ricey!! I just can't leave it stock and this seems the biggesti bang for your buck

Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

The gas engine is dieing soon anyway this is probly my last car before America uses all the gwas up mine as well have fun with it lol

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

^ I've had the same thought that this may be my last internal combustion engined car, so ....

[btw: hope you don't mind I cleaned up your grammar, spelling and sentence structure.

Originally Posted by LongRod_Johnson
The gas engine is dying soon anyway; this is probably my last car before America uses up all the gas, so may as well have fun with it. LOL

Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Sad but true ... gas will be at least $10.00/gal in the near future. Let's “light” up the streets until then!

Longrod_Johnson, I suggest you dyno your car before making the modifications to obtain a baseline for the mods you intend to perform. This will enable you to determine if it was worth the time and money. Also, this will provide valuable information for other people who are thinking about modifying their Audi A4 1.8T.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Wow.

Yes, the gains are real - that's the beauty of a turbo engine. The gains are realized by increasing boost pressure and remapping fuel and timing curves to properly work with that increase in airflow. The berating mods mentioned will help, but typically later on when you're already making higher power levels. The factory intake/exhaust components are more than enough to flow the necessary air for that power level (and more).

For what it's worth, if we were talking about a naturally aspirated engine, the comment about gaining only a few HP would be true. It's a whole different story when boost comes into play.

As for no replacement for displacement, there is - that little compressor blowing into the intake manifold is it. It's not a means to send displacement into obsolescence, but it's certainly another means to the same end.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Your are 100% correct, increasing boost will give you more HP, but we should be careful here because it's easy to get carried away and push the engine and drivetrain beyond it's limits. I learned the hard way with my Supra.

2006 A6 3.2 Quattro
2005 BMW M3
1987 Toyota Supra Turbo

Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

The chip boosts the Turbo from 5-7 Psi to 15-16 psi, that sounds really expensive when my old kk03 Turbo explodes, but I'm getting one anyway next weekend after inspection and emissions ill let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: Do performence chips REALLY give as much power as they say