Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Dead Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Dead Won't Start

2005 A4 Quattro 2.0T 120,000 miles. After on and off fuel pressure check engine code P0089, but still running fine, I installed a new fuel filter and there was no change still intermittent code.

Next at the recommendation of an Audi mechanic, I checked the cam follower and it was considerably worn. So I replaced it and at the recommendation of several installed a new high pressure pump. I also installed new sensors on the fuel rail and the high pressure pump as recommended. This cured the code for about a month. Then it came back on and would not go away, still running fine.

So after research and talking with another mechanic I installed a new in the tank low pressure fuel pump. This pump had obviously been changed prior and whoever we had change it, ruined, where you squeezed the connector to remove the fitting. I had to use a pick to remove it and it would not seal when reinstalled, so I had to replace the discharge line which you actually can snake in by the tank by lowering the tank. Bit of a pain but it will pull thru if you cut the end off the old one and tape the new one to it with good electrical tape. When all connected I started it and it ran fine. Took it out for a test drive and no check engine lights. I probably drove 10 to 15 miles.

At the same time my wife asked that I change the super pain in the butt, leaky coolant fitting on the back of the engine. So I loved on the engine for a week because it was off and on with very cold weather and I do not have a heater in the garage. When completed I started the engine to bleed the coolant system which didn't take too long as I had vented the system at an elevated point. So the engine ran only slightly longer then it took to heat up. I shut it off and restarted after it had cooled down to make sure the coolant level held and was ok. Let it warm up again then the engine started slowly losing RPM, then started missing a bit and died. It restarted once and was missing and died again. It would not restart. To me it seemed like it simply ran out of fuel but still has 1/4 tank.

After letting it sit overnight I cranked it for an extended period. Let it sit for a minute or 2 and cranked again. I could not smell any raw fuel smell in the exhaust at all. So I checked fuel pressure on the engine at the HP pump. 8-10# with the key on, 10-12# while cranking. So I pulled the discharge line off at the pump to eliminate the fuel filter and it has 10# with key on and 10-15# cranking.

Long description but seems the new fuel pump is bad. I see 50 to 80 psig in info I have found but nothing specifically published by Audi. The wife doesn't drive her car much in the winter but I would like to get the thing running again!!

Appreciate any help I can get. I am not an Audi mechanic or even much of a modern car mechanic. My maintenance career is 40 years working on Superiors, Waukeshas and Cats so I have a firm understanding of basics.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Today we’re debuting enhanced mobile developer program that gives you more options, more flexibility, and more control in how you leverage our renowned speech technology to take your innovative app to market!