Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

OBDII- In Car PC Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Arrow OBDII- In Car PC Project

This is my deal:

First, I'm a medical courier and I drive my Trip/Qauttro 01 A4 2.8V6 200+miles a day. What can I say, I cruise in style. (I've used MANY MANY cars, and this one is the only one that ((knock on wood)) works and is comfortable.)

Okay, so heres the project:

I'm going to build an OBDII diagnostic that runs into my PC and does three things:
1-Has a current and "trip" gps locator that can show my route on Google Maps(most likely thru my blackberry)
2-Shows all forms of "gauges" constantly updated on my desktop
3- Looks professional and is clean and easily replicated to any car

I've got some things started, done a LOT of research. If anyone knows of/currently runs/wants in the future a system like this, let me know and I'll keep people updated.

-Brett

Old 08-16-2008, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

Id like to see what you have goin you should post updates.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Interesting.
All sounds good ... except the PC part.
How about using one of our computers with a 4.3" TFT LCD with touch.
It has a USB host port for your OBD adapter, high-quality screen, and doesn't take up a passenger seat.
If you're interested, send me a message or reply, and I'll send more info.
(BTW: we build SEMA award-winning products, but they have other company's names on them)

Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear

I'm interested, as long as it works like a pc....

cause the other advantage is that I get to play Americas Army in traffic....

...j/k>

Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Sounds good...

Would your program also monitor more indepth values such as...
A/F Ratio
Fuel Pres (PSI)
Boost
Etc...

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

I did an in-car setup similar to that in an old Nissan pickup I had, just had a 9 inch drop down screen right in front of the mirror, instead of an on-dash touch screen.

I might do this to my A4 after I get the other criticals out of the way, Chip, injectors, etc.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 080910k
[ 产品名称: 安诺信 楼宇对讲主机 产品售价: 0-请电询 产品规格: ANX-19BM6 产品编号: 产品类别: 楼宇对讲 → 别墅系列 产品信息: 产品名称: 安诺信 UPS电源 产品售价: 0-请电询 产品规格: ANX-P12V 产品编号: 产品类别: 楼宇对讲 → 电源 产品信息: 产品名称: 安诺信视频电源 产品售价: 0-请电询 产品规格: ANX-P18V 产品编号: 产品类别: 楼宇对讲→ 电源 产品信息: 产品名称: 安诺信楼宇对讲主机 产品售价: 0-请电询 产品规格: ANX-08M 产品编号: 产品类别: 楼宇对讲 → 管理主机 产品信息:
Uhh... say what?

Don't we have anti spam precautions on here? That would suck for the mods and admins if we had to verify all new members. I saw on some other forum sites they had a bot-trick field. It was something like a set of radial buttons and it had a question and at the end it said to leave it blank if you are a human. I don't know how sophisticated bots are so ignore me, but I've been seeing a lot of these lately...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bempey
Interesting.
All sounds good ... except the PC part.
How about using one of our computers with a 4.3" TFT LCD with touch.
It has a USB host port for your OBD adapter, high-quality screen, and doesn't take up a passenger seat.
If you're interested, send me a message or reply, and I'll send more info.
(BTW: we build SEMA award-winning products, but they have other company's names on them)
do you sell these systems as a package? I have an A8 and am looking for options. I can use my cellphone as my network card, so having the internet while bored in traffic would help. let me know whenever time permits.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CrazyEights
do you sell these systems as a package? I have an A8 and am looking for options. I can use my cellphone as my network card, so having the internet while bored in traffic would help. let me know whenever time permits.
You can get setups for yourself at MP3car.com you can also custom build and they have some sweet setups. You can do full in-dash computer (double-din), have an amplifier-looking case and add it to your amp rack, do underseat or trunk mount, etc etc. They have parts or whole systems as well

http://www.mp3car.com/

http://store.mp3car.com/Car_Computer_Systems_s/25.htm
Prebuilt systems from $381-$3,000

You can get a full setup for under a grand, *easily*, and add and remove components at your leisure. You can add GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, WWAN, DVD, Multi-monitor, on/off with car, Radio (FM/AM/XM/Sirius), You can integrate it fully with your car and have it control lighting, seating, etc, cameras, microphones, backup sensors (beeps when you get close to something), distance sensors, all sorts of things.

Yes it requires a small amount of custom work, but honestly its pretty easy (you ever plugged in a mouse?).

I'm all for a car-specific kit, so if you can't fudge a car computer, go that way. Lol, I bought a Carbonio intake cause I can't custom fab my own stuff.

If anyone is in the lower-Vermont area around Rutland, I'd be more than happy to help with any of these projects...