Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the computer, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

tearing motor apart and want some ideas on internal upgrades and things to check for

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear
Default tearing motor apart and want some ideas on internal upgrades and things to check for

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and to the audi world. I have wanted an s4 for quite some time and a week ago i found a front end damaged 01 s4 with 6 speed. There was some timing belt issues and there are going to be some bent valves and possibly more. It has 69k on it and it has a full turbo back milltek exhaust and possibly a tune. My question is since i am pulling the heads and removing some things are there any things i should do performance wise like porting the heads and what not? I know about most of the little quirks like diverter valves and stuff but i would like any suggestions as i may keep this car a long time and will most likely upgrade many things such as turbos in future. thanks

Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: tearing motor apart and want some ideas on internal upgrades and things to check for

I dont know muchabout S4's but you could possible get new hoses everywhere or you could get a lightweigt pulley kit.

there is a lot of stuff you could do. but i have not learned enough about audi's yet to really tell you.

do some searches

Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: tearing motor apart and want some ideas on internal upgrades and things to check for

Those are some thingsI am doing, I am also going to clean up the ports on the heads. Some say that there is very little to gain but as I look at the ports there are casting lines and imperfections everywhere. So I am going to clean them up with some mild porting and lots of polishing. A close look at the factory Exhaust manifold also shows the inside of each port where it meets the head is a big ugly weld bead that comes in about an 1/8th inch all the way around. I am sure this is impeeding exhaust flow so that must be ground out. There is a healthy weld bead on outside so I am confident there will be no reliability issues. I am going to look into some pulleys, any ideas on good brands?

Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
pms
1st Gear

Surely any obvious obstructions like casting irregularities and seams that could be taken out would be helpful. In a normally aspirated application you need to be respectful of the air velocity vs. just maximizing volume, but with a pressurized application I would think you could be a little more aggressive with hogging the passages out. A port match is always going to be helpful.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

There seems to be quite a bit of material that could be removed, my problem is I have no way of comparing flow on the cylinders so I am definately going to make sure the ports are matched up nicely but I am going to be pretty careful about removing to much. I am going to start them today. Since I bought this car wrecked and never drove it i have no idea if I will see any differences with the power output or delivery. At least I will be able to sleep at night knowing that since I had it apart I went the extra mile even if it does nothing.