Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Ask A Dealer Salesman

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Yes I can tell you for sure the evo XIII or XI are very hard to find, (I am a Mitsu Dealer) not molested to death, so its safe to say that those markers were probably only for detail etc marks.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

In my personal experience, the biggest turn-off when buying a car from a dealership is hearing from the salesperson; "What can we do to get you in this car today?"

If I like the car, I'm gonna buy it. I'm already here and have done the research, so I'm prepared to spend the money. I dunno....just give me the info I need and let me test drive the car, and speak to me like a person, not just a sale. Maybe the typical sales pitches work on other folks. Not for me though.

Obviously I'm not claiming this is what every salesperson does...I'm just throwing my thoughts out there for what it's worth. Thanks for this thread!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Damaniac311
In my personal experience, the biggest turn-off when buying a car from a dealership is hearing from the salesperson; "What can we do to get you in this car today?"

If I like the car, I'm gonna buy it. I'm already here and have done the research, so I'm prepared to spend the money. I dunno....just give me the info I need and let me test drive the car, and speak to me like a person, not just a sale. Maybe the typical sales pitches work on other folks. Not for me though.

Obviously I'm not claiming this is what every salesperson does...I'm just throwing my thoughts out there for what it's worth. Thanks for this thread!
I usually START by informing teh salesperson that I am not there for them to sell me a car. I am there to buy the car I want, and they are just there to process the paperwork. Then, I clam them up by asking them some questions about the car they'd never be able to answer, but that I already know the answers to. By the time I'm finished (takes about 10 well-spent minutes), they pretty much just shut up and let me do my test drive, visual inspection, and so forth.

THEN, if I'm satisfied, we talk numbers.

This procedure has worked for me for the last 3 cars I've purchased.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

^ Honestly, I'm scared to do any of that as I don't want to get on the sale person's bad side. If it works for you, I think I'm gonna try it next time I'm buying a car.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Nothing really to ask yet, but this is a great idea for a thread. To the OP, thank you for contributing your time and experience on this. I have no doubt it'll be very beneficial to a lot of us in the future.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

AADS, my dad always told me the best weapon you can have as a car buyer is the act of walking out of the dealership. He does it at least once every time he buys a car lol. Have you experienced a lot of that or is he a crazy person?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

As a salesman, what would your best advice be for someone to get the best deal possible. Is there a way to tell when the dealer is at his lowest price?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by TCinJ
As a salesman, what would your best advice be for someone to get the best deal possible. Is there a way to tell when the dealer is at his lowest price?
When he starts to cry...

Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Damaniac311

On this one. I completely agree with what computers and the internet has done to the business, it has turned the job into more of a customer service job. good car salesman have learned ways of asking for the sale and finding out if they are ready to buy today or if they are at the beginning of the sale, pushing and pressuring doesn't work on people like yourself, I can already tell. When somebody tells me we are just here kicking tires of course ill mention all of our special incentives and financing but if it doesn't attract them enough to seriously considering doing business today then i get their info we go on test drives I show you everything on the car build value and show key features and benefits. Then my manager usually likes to step in make sure I did everything the customer wanted and typically asks their time-frame for making a decision, build credibility with the customer and tell them come back and see us and give us a chance to earn your business.

It really depends on the salesman if you have an old school 50yr old guy he's gonna kick you out real fast if he doesnt think your a buyer or just push push and push.

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I usually START by informing teh salesperson that I am not there for them to sell me a car. I am there to buy the car I want, and they are just there to process the paperwork. Then, I clam them up by asking them some questions about the car they'd never be able to answer, but that I already know the answers to. By the time I'm finished (takes about 10 well-spent minutes), they pretty much just shut up and let me do my test drive, visual inspection, and so forth.

THEN, if I'm satisfied, we talk numbers.

This procedure has worked for me for the last 3 cars I've purchased.
this isn't a bad approach, catching us off guard is usually hard to do as long as they are a good salesman and know their cars on the lot. but if you have some guy who is just there for a paycheck, instead of trying to build relationships for the company they work for, those kind of guys typically work at about 2 dealers a year.

Originally Posted by kriptonik
^ Honestly, I'm scared to do any of that as I don't want to get on the sale person's bad side. If it works for you, I think I'm gonna try it next time I'm buying a car.
Don't be scared to do anything at a dealership, we have seen anything and everything. Don't ask for 6k plus discounts or they will kick you out or tell you that you are on the wrong car and didn't do enough research.

Originally Posted by CCA4
AADS, my dad always told me the best weapon you can have as a car buyer is the act of walking out of the dealership. He does it at least once every time he buys a car lol. Have you experienced a lot of that or is he a crazy person?
Good approach, we will usually follow-up the next day and say we can help you out a little bit more unless they were all the in and had no more to give before you left. Every dealership is different in all ways that they give up profit. We believe your first deal is the best deal so if you can make it go for it. It's all about turning inventory as fast as possible. if you can turn a 90 car lot 10-15 times a year with slightly less profit margins per unit, it equates to large profits than only turning your inventory 5-6 times a year with slightly larger profits at each sale. I see the walk out and wait for us to call you 2 hours later or something but we don't then they show up on their own and pay the price we were at before and I've seen them come back one month later and pay more than agreed on before because the price has changed since then. The used car market is extremely volatile. If your buying a new car go to TRUECAR's website best customer resource for new cars.

Originally Posted by TCinJ

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
When he starts to cry...
When you have gone back and forth ten times and the same price keeps coming back that's when you know they aren't willing to work anymore on the price. Work on the price of the car first before mentioning anything about how much your putting down because we can take some of your down payment and add it to the sale price where it shows as more gross for us. Lets say your willing to pay 22500 for a car priced at 24500. tell them i want to be at 21500 or they will most likely meet you in the middle at 23500. if they keep saying no we can do that tell them go check and see thats what im willing to pay and when they finally get to the price where you are comfortable then unload your down payment info and financing. never tell them how much you want to pay a month just because they can run numbers and at advertised price you could be right at the payment you said. do your research online and know what you want before getting involved in working numbers on a car. if the car is truely the cheapest one online within 150 miles or more then they aren't going to work with you very much just because they already have the cheapest car out there. Also try and plan your purchases within the last few days of a month, we are much more willing to give up gross on the last days of the month to hit new car goals and bonuses.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Hopefully my responses are helpful and legible sorry if they aren't I'm at work and typing very fast switching screens when my managers walk past.

Quick Reply: Ask A Dealer Salesman