Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Corrosion Warranty?/ HELP!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Corrosion Warranty?/ HELP!!

About a year ago I noticed pea sized corrosion bubbles popping up along the passenger side drainage channel on my 2000 A6 wagon. There are about six spots now. I went through Clair Audi in westwood,ma and had an Audi rep look at it as I think it should be covered under their corrosion warranty.... worst Audi customer service experience EVER!!! So after half a dozen of letters and hours of phone calls with Audi service department, I feel like giving up. According to Audi, corrosion will only be covered if it progresses form the inside out. Then they were trying to tell me that I might have been in an accident which was then improperly repaired... That’s not the case and.. how bad can an accident be that damage is being done to the roof panel without any other signs on more obvious body panels??? I used to work in aviation and am rather familiar with corrosion think that this is caused by improper zinc coating or surface preparation. I went to a local adjuster and body shop owner, he said the same thing and even measured the paint thickness and pretty much excluded a possible prior repair.

So what can I do???

Does anyone have any experience with the Audi corrosion warranty?? I'm so wicked mad. I love Audis and held them always in the highest... but this is so off.

The Audi rep took a mere two seconds to look at it... didn't even measure gap or paint thickness... as per Audi they don't even want to reinspect it.

Any input is highly appreciated!!!

Mike

Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Sorry mate. Realize I'm about 4 years late on this one. Just curious if you ever found anything out.

I found an interesting read online about the Audi Warranty Process.

Audi Warranty

The Audi warranty is a comprehensive guarantee against faulty parts or workmanship. There is no power train extended Audi warranty available for purchase. For some models of Audi, there is an extended warranty for potentially faulty engines. The standard warranty for all Audi vehicles includes:
Audi provides four year or 50,000 mile coverage for the entire vehicle. This is a bumper-to-bumper policy that covers everything for defects and faulty workmanship. The warranty does not generally cover items that are damaged in accidents or are damaged by the vehicle owner. Items that wear out due to wear and tear are not generally included under the warranty, but there are a few exceptions. The warranty does include replacement for the halogen bulbs in the headlights and the bulbs in the instrument panel.

Emissions equipment is covered for 5 years or 50,000 miles.

The drive train warranty may offer coverage beyond the basic warranty, depending on the model. The drive train warranty includes the transmission, engine, driveshaft and drive axles. Most engine internals are covered, but belts and hoses are not.

A corrosion warranty is provided for 12 years. It is not limited by the number of miles driven. This warranty covers Audi body parts made of sheet metal that develop holes due to rust. Rust that does not eat completely through the metal is not included in the warranty coverage. The coverage provides for the repair or replacement of parts that are perforated by rust.

The Audi Advantage Program is included with every new Audi. This program provides free maintenance for the vehicle for the first year or 5,000 miles. The free maintenance includes all scheduled maintenance during the covered period. This may be adding power steering, brake or washer fluid as well as an oil change.

The Audi Advantage Program also provides coverage for certain vehicle parts that may need replacements during the first four years or 50,000 miles. This includes the clutch lining, wiper blade inserts, light bulbs and brake pads. It also includes wheel balance and alignment and adjustments of the headlights, even if these are needed because of wear and tear to the vehicle.

Roadside assistance is included in the Audi warranty. This service is available 24 hours a day for four years. There is no limit on the mileage for those four years.

Some Audi models have had their warranties extended to cover the engine for eight years. These include 1.8 liter engines on the Passat from 1998-2004 and the Audi A4s from 1997-2004. These engines have been known to have problems with sludge and are covered from eight years from the original sale date of the vehicle.

To keep the vehicle under warranty during its eligible time, there are a few maintenance and repair requirements. Unless the repairs are needed during an emergency situation, all repairs must be done at an Audi dealership. The replacement parts used are not required to be new. If aftermarket accessories or systems are installed, any damage they cause will void the warranty for those items.

Regular maintenance, as outlined in the Audi owner’s manual, must be performed in order to keep the vehicle eligible for the warranty. Customers need to have documentation to show that regular maintenance has been performed.
Updated: 10/27/2009

Looks like for rust to be covered, it needs to go all the way through. What you experienced sounds like surface rust. Doubt anything will get all the way through their galvanized metal.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

The term "galvanised" is somewhat loose, the coating used ( while I was in the metal trade ) was known as galvafroid, as used by Alpha on their metal after their rust issues. At present I am persuing a claim for corrosion on my A4 front wing and am disputing an offer of 70% towards the costs which still requires me to pay some Ł280.00. Perhaps I am wrong but a 12 year Anti corrosion should be just that, no accident damage, no paintwork repairs, full history. This garage seems to stick to rust through paint, but fails to recognise corrosion as an issue thereby my requirement to pay 30%.
Just going back to see them "face to face" and ask for further details and clarification on corrosion warranty.