Dealerships Review(s) of dealerships that sell or service Audi's

Langan Audi, Latham, NY -- BEWARE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Langan Audi, Latham, NY

My issue has be satisfactorily resolved by Langan Audi and Audi of America.

Last edited by djg21; 01-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I'd probably have burned the place down by now. Jesus man, hopefully AOA will step up.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I'd probably have burned the place down by now. Jesus man, hopefully AOA will step up.
Thanks for the moral support.

Last edited by djg21; 01-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator

That's rotten. I don't understand why it ended up that you're out in the cold. As a CPO I figured it'd qualify for all the same protections as a new vehicle, including the right to have the vehicle turned in under the Lemon Law for full credit. Best of luck in the proceedings - you sound as if you have everything together and the documentation to back it up, so hopefully you'll come out on top in the courtroom.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Default just in case you were thinking of trying Holtz Audi in Rochester....

here's a copy of my email to Caitlin Holtz, the daughter of last owner, John Holtz.

"My 2005 A8 was exhibiting some minor electrical problems, such as an airbag light, traction control light, and occasional ABS and parking brake warnings. In order to book a service appointment, I telephoned the dealership, and spoke with David Hatch in the service department. He was, in fact, very accommodating.
The vehicle was booked in for a basic diagnosis of the issues raised. David was very thorough, and, as I was away from a means to record the time and date of the appointment, was good enough to email me the appointment details, explaining that he would be away on the day of my appointment, but either of the other service staff would 'look after me'.
I have to make it clear that I have never heard anyone with anything positive to say about the 'Holtz' dealerships, across the marques. The A8 is my fifth Audi (from Ur-Quattro to RS6), and my second since relocating to the USA in February last year. My first Audi here was a 1998 S-Line A8. I am friends with people who own Audis, from R8's to S4's, BMW's, Porsches and other vehicles, and, to a person, they have had only negative things to say about your company, including rude and unhelpful staff, unskilled technicians, work booked or promised and not done, failures unable to be diagnosed by supposedly 'factory trained' staff etc etc. Now, as a 20 year veteran of law enforcement, I am prepared to judge only on what I find, and not prejudge a situation. Following my interaction with David, I was actually quite confident that I would have a reasonable experience at the dealership. How wrong that turned out to be.
On the morning in question, Thursday 15th December, 2011, I left home with plenty of time to arrive at Holtz at around 09.45hrs. At around 09.30, I stopped to assist two gentlemen push their car out of the roadway (it had broken down, and was in a dangerous position) and this delayed me by only around 10 minutes. I telephoned your dealership to let them know that I would be delayed, and that they should allow the appointment behind me to 'leapfrog' ahead. I was answered by a receptionist, who transferred me to the 'Audi service desk' and my call went unanswered for one minute and 27 seconds, so I was unable to deliver my message.
I arrived at the dealership a few minutes after 10.00hrs and entered through the side door. No person was there to greet me, which is fine, but I walked past at least two members of staff before I had to make my own way to a round receptionists desk, staffed by a healthy looking blond young lady on the telephone to someone she appeared to be familiar with. I stood by her desk for a few moments, and, without looking at me, she said, "Can I help you?". I replied, "Yes, Audi service please." She replied, "Honda service? Down there." Motioning by tilting her head to her right towards an archway leading to a black wooden door. I said, "No, Audi service." Again, without even making eye contact, and continuing to look straight ahead, she said, " Same place."
I said my thank yous, and walked to the wooden door, into the service reception bay.

Once in there, I turned to my right, and was faced with three people, all with their backs to me. The closest, a small man, who on later examination wore a name badge claiming 'service manager', didn't even look up at me as I closed the door behind me. The next position along was occupied by a man I now know to be Paul D'Aries, who also sat with his back to me, and the furthest 'cubicle' away from me was occupied by a lady whose name begins with 'D', 'Donelle' maybe?

Anyway, I walked up to the 'service manager's' desk, and waited. Without turning to face me, he said, "hello." I said, "morning, the name's Paul, I have a 10 o'clock for the A8." His reply completely stunned me, momentarily. He said, having glanced at the time in the lower right hand corner of the computer screen he was still facing, "Uh! Ten Twelve! Too late!" laughed, and fell silent. Momentarily stunned, I recovered and said, "No, what's too late, is your opportunity to earn any money off me today." I was completely amazed that this person greeted a service customer, who he had never even looked at, let alone ever met before, who was bringing in a vehicle with an initial price of $66,590 - $117,400 for it's first service under my ownership with this dealership, in this manner. Again, while barely looking up at me, he motioned to the other two staff members in the room, and said, "bring it in the big door, one of these will help you." and looked down, effectively dismissing me. I really could be bothered to challenge this person any further, so went and got my car, and drove into the bay.

Paul D'Aries greeted me, and asked why the car was here. We had a brief conversation about the electrical issues, and the lateness of my arrival. I was at a car dealership, not a neurosurgeon, so I expect a little flexibility, or if not that, then a warning at the time of booking about the dangers of arriving late. Paul, in a fairly patronising tone, explained how complex the A8 was to me, and that the car was booked in for the whole day. I said, "no, it was booked for an hour to examine the issues.", to which Paul replied that it would be impossible to diagnose an A8 in an hour, and that, what with me being late, he could offer me a ride somewhere if I wanted to just leave the car.

Paul then took some time to discuss some tyre issues with me, and we then resolved that I would consider re-booking the car in, at a later date, to accommodate my schedule, and an available day to leave the car all day.

I have researched your dealership, and it's' reviews. Many of the unfavourable ones are regarding the service manager, and this does not surprise me in the least. I found him to be rude, patronising, arrogant, dismissive, unskilled, unprofessional and of the totally wrong character type to be allowed to have any sort of contact with customers of any kind at your dealership. Paul, at least, had the intelligence to be polite, exhibit some knowledge, and attempt to salvage the situation.

Overall I found your dealership to exhibit everything that can be wrong with a main dealer of a 'prestige' vehicle marque. My opinion is that your staff should be made aware that they have a job, have employment, receive remuneration, because customers like me want to bring our vehicles to what should be a professional outfit that shouldn't claim that fixing my car is 'really complicated.' Service managers are not 'keepers of the dark secrets of the really complicated Audi' and customers should not be made to feel that you have done us a favour by deigning to fix our cars. I am not an idiot, and will not tolerate being treated as such. The very reason I was there was because a product you sell had failed.

I am interested as to what your response to this email will be Caitlin. Given your last name, I make an assumption that you may be party to the reasons for Mr. Holtz selling the dealership, but whatever they are, and I wish him good health, I can't help feeling that no longer being involved with, or party to, these sorts of customers experiences makes his decision a very shrewd move.
"