AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/)
-   -   Best engine Cleaners (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/best-engine-cleaners-27337/)

Sky 03-14-2006 08:19 PM

Best engine Cleaners

I am looking for a good engine cleaner because my car just hit 100k and it really needs an engine cleaning. So any helpful hints are great but im also looking for a customer approved engine cleaner

Thanks

TOGWT 03-16-2006 10:40 AM

RE: Best engine Cleaners

CD2 Engine Detailer:
An easy to use two- step aerosol system Step one: cleans and preps engine. Step two: details engine.
Cleans, protects and shines all under the hood surfaces. Very fast acting formulas, dries tack free and leave no greasy residue, repels grease, dirt and moisture. Protects rubber and plastic engine components from cracking and drying, protects painted and metal surfaces from rust and corrosion. (midwayautosupply.com)

ImTheDevil 11-26-2006 09:26 PM

CD2 works very well. Ideally, take off some of the engine covers and such and clean them off the engine - it'll allow you to fully clean them as well as to get at some of the other parts that are partially shrouded by those covers. You can also use Simple Green and a lot of effort with shop towels, toothbrushes, etc.

One quick way to revive the appearance of the engine bay also is to get the 1200 degree high temp spray paint from Auto Zone, and use it on the manifold and other metal engine parts that are visible. Spray the paint into the cap that comes on the spray can, and use a 1" foam paintbrush from Home Depot to brushpaint the metal (obviously you want to clean it first). I've done that in the past to revive the look of a motor, and it can really make things look nice. It's cheap, doesn't take much effort, and the payoff is worth the work.

fahquad 04-01-2007 05:41 PM

I use the CD2 stuff, too. Works well. Especially the final spray. For tough stuff I use simple green and a light misting spray from hose.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...600_x_447_.jpg
[align=left] [/align]

SAudi 04-04-2007 03:33 AM

i use something called GUNK engine degreaser, when thats not available i use just any off the shelf degreaser, soak everything down, power wash the engine bay, and spray everythign down with vinylex, cleans thing up nice and makes it look like a new engine.

gtos8xxx 04-04-2007 11:45 PM

dont power wash that engine bay cause the pressure sometimes screws the electrical systems. a nice warm motor,agood degreaser, then a dresser spray is all you need. hard to clean stuff just do it again leaving the degeaser on longer. i know from experience pain!

votblindub 04-05-2007 12:23 PM

ive used foamy engine brite on my previous cars, that stuff works great. i just wrapped all electrical stuff like the battery and alternator with a plasic bag so i can later hose it all off with water

2k S4 04-05-2007 04:15 PM

I don't like harsh detergents, or solvents. I use Griot's OIl & grease cleaner. It has microbes that eat grease & oil, It also beaks down the gunk. No residue, & it's not harmful to any pets or the water system. Just wet engine, spray, go over the areas with a brush, wait, rinse, repeat. Then after a hand dry, apply your fav conditioner.

SAudi 04-06-2007 03:28 AM

ORIGINAL: vnv727

pressure washers can do damage...strong degreaser than a heavy flow of water from a hose is all u need
thats what i meant, a heavy flow not power washer, i havent had the best luck with power washers either, when i first became a detailer the first several engine i did i guess i somehow got water on the o2 sensors setting off CELs.

Cruz734 04-25-2007 02:33 AM

"i just wrapped all electrical stuff like the battery and alternator with a plasic bag"

Is this really nessary?