Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Black Exterior day-to-day cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Black Exterior day-to-day cleaning

I recently purchased a pre-owned A4 2009 with Black exterior and Black interior. People here have two theories and I wanna know what to do, I wanna keep the exterior in an excellent condition. Note that I live in GCC and the weather here is sunny and dusty most of the days.

Theory 1: water wash the car ever few days to let the dust wash out, then I can wash it with a shampoo or dry it up. they claim that if I wipe the dust first, it will lead to surface scratch due to the sand particles on the car, that's why its need washing first.

Theory 2: water washing the car can ruin the painting of the car and the polish surface. therefore they claim that the best thing to do is every other day wipe the car of the dust with a micro fiber cloth, and wash it not that often and only when its gets so dirty and it cant be clean by wiping the dust off.

I appreciate your comments and tips.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

A good shell of wax should help to protect the clear coat from scratches. So first do a thorough detail, clay bar, polish, and wax. Then maintain it by hitting the car with a car duster every couple days to remove errant dust. Wash as necessary to remove residue from water, etc. I haven't done any serious detailing in a few years so things might have changed? Maintenance on a dark paint job is the reason I bought a light colored car.