Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

carbon fiber care

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
2nd Gear
Default carbon fiber care

does anyone know the proper way to treat carbon fiber? i just got a hood and it didnt come with any directions on how to keep it lookin new. do i need any special waxes? what brands should i use?? i kno i have to get the hood clear coated, but i cant do that untill the spring, so what should i do to keep it lookin its best?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: carbon fiber care

Carbon Fibre:[/b]
[: carbon fibre is a polymer, which is a form of graphite, which, in turn is a form of pure carbon][/i]
In graphite the carbon atoms are arranged into big sheets of hexagonal aromatic rings. The sheets look like chicken wire, think of them as ribbons of graphite. Bunches of these ribbons like to pack together to form fibres, hence the name carbon fibre.

These fibres aren't used by themselves; instead they're used to reinforce materials like epoxy resins and other thermosetting materials. We call these reinforced materials composites because they have more than one component. This lightweight, strong composite can be used with polyester or epoxy, a composite material that can strengthen while adding minimal weight. When core material is used to double the thickness of a structure, the relative stiffness increases seven times. The strength increases three and a half times while the weight only increases very slightly (1.03 times).

When core material quadruples the thickness, the relative stiffness increases an incredible thirty seven (37) times, the strength increases nine times, while weight increases a mere one (1.06) times.

Plain weave is the most common weave style in which the fibre bundles alternate over one bundle and under one bundle, woven carbon fibre sheets are pre-cut, and easy to work with. Most quality carbon fibre that is used for automotive/marine/racing has a clear coat finish (to provide a seal for the fibre’s and UVR protection)

A problem could occur if there is insufficient reinforcement, as carbon fibre does not like to flex, if allowed to it causes delaminating of the gel. Most carbon fibre products only come with a thin gel coat for protection from the manufacturer. They have a nice gloss, so most people assume that they have been 'clear coated', however this is sometimes not the case; they are gel coated fibreglass or single stage, it would be the owner’s responsibility to clear coat and provide ultra violet (UVR) protection to the piece after purchase. Correct surface imperfections with a finishing polish and soft foam pad (Menzerna PO 85 RD 3.01 SIP with a Blue finishing (very soft 100 PPI) LC CCS foam pad - 1100 RPM)

For Gel Coat finishes -[/i][/b] Collinite Fibreglass Boat Cleaner #920 easily removes dirt, film, oxidation, oil, grease, rust and exhaust stains from resin gel coat / fibreglass finishes. This cleaner restores the original colour quickly without hard rubbing or buffing and leaves a chemically clean surface to which waxes can adhere perfectly. Collinite Fibreglass Boat Cleaner Increases long-lasting brilliance and performance of protective wax coatings - http://www.autogeek.net/fiberglass-boat-cleaner.html