AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/)
-   -   convertible tops (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/convertible-tops-14891/)

S4sweeteeteeRS 08-18-2005 03:17 PM

convertible tops

is it a good idea to spray with a water proof like scotch guard? is this product ok? are there ones specifically for car tops? also need suggestions for top cleaner.

TOGWT 08-19-2005 01:54 PM

RE: convertible tops

Rode & Schwalenbert Gmbn. (Germany) the world leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products:

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2.Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. It has the best UV protection of any product on the market, and it repels dirt, grease, and oil. It doesn’t make your vinyl top glossy or greasy-looking. It will have the natural matte sheen of new vinyl.
JonM

Grouse 07-10-2006 08:44 PM

nIce post thanks for the reference.

trisaab 03-11-2007 08:55 PM

Just bought an 03 cabriolet. Did some research. "occasional" automatic car washes (without brushes) are pronounced acceptable by Audi themselves. That said, many users recommend the "303" brand product line of convertible car top wash, and then High Tech protectant. The top wash has zero to harm the top, or harm the environment. The protectant doesn't shine or even show...and is recommended by the Sunbrella folks.

The product you mentioned in previous post sounds good too. Overall I would get something especially formulated for convertible tops. I'm only hitting the car wash once or twice per winter.....when there's no way to do it myself.

PaintPolisher 03-12-2007 02:00 AM

Any type of [tunnel wash] has the possibility/probability of rupturing the seals and creating a leak. Brushless only uses high pressure jets which I believe increases the chances for leaks.
The following is the process I use and encourage my clients to use if they wish to do it themselves.
Process for your convertible top:

Wash with a car shampoo
I use an extremely soft brush for the pores and seams
Rinse top very well

Dry with Absorber or MF towels
Bonus if you have an air compressor - blow the water out of the seams

Inspect the top and generally I have to use my shop vac to suck up
the clingy debris from air-borne contaminants, lint…..

I use RaggTopp – follow directions

TIP - Spray onto a MF towel and wipe in, use overlapping motions
Easy to do, dramatic visual difference, plus you have protection

I have clients that use 303 and are satisfied with the end result. So the choice of products is up to you.
Al

S4sweeteeteeRS 03-17-2007 02:38 PM

i bought the 303 fabric proctant today and i'll use it as soon as we get a few warm sunny days in a row.
i'll let you know what my results are.
i went with this over ragg topp after i read a customer review who wasn't pleased.