Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

cordless buffer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 PM
tdn
2nd Gear
Default cordless buffer

Well, I have an apartment that doesn't allow me to wash my car here, I have to make a trip to the car wash where I use one of those Self Wash booths.. anyway, it takes me 4 hours to clean my car. I'm trying to cut down on the time and have better results at the same time. can anyone recommend a good cordless buffer? they don't have an outlet i could use at the car wash..

i found this one so far.. only an hour on the battery, but I'd buy one of the extra batteries for a back up.

http://www.topoftheline.com/mincororpol.html

if anyone has any recommendations/experience, please share them!

edit: i've also found these http://www.nextag.com/cordless-polisher/search-html

Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: cordless buffer

The biggest problem with either of those buffers is that they do not have enough power to properly break down a polish when using it for paint correction. They both operate at less than 3,000 OPM's, and factor in some bogging down when you apply pressure. A quality buffer, like the Porter Cable Buffer, has just enough power at the higher settings 5 of 6 and 6 of 6 and full speed on that is 6,000 OPMs. The cordless buffers are ok for applying a glaze, sealant or wax, but for paint correction they are a waste of money. Also, factor in your options for pads (bonnets are not a good option), sometimes buffers have proprietary pads that can be very expensive or hard to find.

IMO there's only 3 random orbital buffers out there that I recommend for proper paint correction: Porter Cable 7424, Cyclo buffer, Ultimate Detailing Machine. Unfortunately I have not found a cordless buffer with enough power to get the job done properly.

Good luck, keep us posted on what machine you end up with. Is a really long extension cord a possibility?

George

Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

I'd like to thank you for replying, especially in such detail. You've successfully turned me away from going cordless as of now. I have a inverter for my car that allows 150 continuous watts, but I'm assuming that would be too little power for the three buffers you've recommended? I suppose my only option would be run an extension cord out the window of my third story apartment, after washing it in the town next over. I'll invest in clay bar here to remove any debris I may have picked up on the journey back.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
1st Gear

No problem. You're much better off doing it right the first time than wasting $80+ only to find out it doesn't do what you hoped it would do. You'll be fine if you clay bar after the wash. If you have any questions on anything or would like product suggestions, please let me know.

Keep us posted on how things turn out for you.

George