AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/)
-   -   How to use a PC (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/detailing-51/how-use-pc-38522/)

turbomangt 08-09-2006 11:50 AM

How to use a PC

How to use a PC

People have been asking me how to use a PC so I thought its time to post.
Dual Action buffers as they are called comes from the motion of the machine, it spins and rotates on its access. This DUAL action does not produce any heat like the high speed rotary, so it is much safer to use. The two machines that are most popular are the Porter Cable 7424 and the DeWalt DW443. Both come with Velcro backing plates for ease of removal of pads. Since there is no universal color code, check with the supplier for the correct cutting action of each color pad. The ones I use its yellow for cutting, green for polishing, and blue of finishing. Let’s take a close look at each step and their use. After properly prepping your car, (wash/clay/wash/dry).Check for stubborn contaminants like tar, road paint, tree sap, the remove that before going to the buffer. Whenever you use a buffer, the finish must of free of all surface contaminants, the purpose of the machine is either to removes swirls, minor surface scratches, polish, and or apply wax/sealant. Before you grab the machine, look at your finish, what are you trying to accomplish?
Minor swirls, fine scratches:
Using the cutting pad, apply a small bead of product in circular pattern on pad, lay pad face down on finish, have setting at med speed, turn machine on and move slowly in a small area about 18”x18”. No need to press hard, gentle pressure works best. Work until most of the product is gone, or a slight haze remains, remove excess with a micro fiber towel. Using a more aggressive compound/cleaner will produce different results. The deeper the defect the more aggressive the product should be. Always follow up after using a Med-heavy compound with a finer grade product. Reason is because the first pass with aggressive cleaner, will leave the surface somewhere dull, due to the cutting action, switch to the fine grade and a green pad, to bring shine/luster back to finish. Make sure you use clean pads; dirty pads will harm the finish.
Finish in good condition, needs polish paint seal
Using a green pad proceed as above working in small sections. For areas to small to get the machine around, Use a foam applicator pad and do it by hand. Be careful around trim/molding as you could break off an emblem easily. Most cleaner/polishes don’t sit well for a long time on a finish, which is why you work in small sections. To apply paint sealant, switch to a blue pad, and apply a small bead of product to pad, work into finish. This time, DO NOT remove right away; allow the sealant to cure on paint for a min of 15 minutes. At which time remove with a micro fiber towel.
To clean your pads, spray some all purpose cleaner on them, scrub with a stiff brush, rinse, spin dry/air dry.
For more information or questions on this topic, PM me. Gary

www.perfectautofinish.com