Detailing How do you keep your ride looking like new? Discuss it in here.

Leather damaged by Mother's

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:09 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Leather damaged by Mother's

I used Mothers Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and it looks like it lightened some of the leather and I am unsure on what to do. I called them and sent them pics. I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps. This is on my 09 A4.

Attached Thumbnails Leather damaged by Mother's-img_0702.jpg   Leather damaged by Mother's-img_0703.jpg   Leather damaged by Mother's-img_0705.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Espo
I used Mothers Leather Cleaner and Cond This is on my 09 A4.
in pic looks like it`s stain , what was the method u use when u apply and u wipe any residue after u "treat" the leather. any extra pressure when wipe..?
i am not familiar with Mo..lcc.
another q did u got any color on your towel (sponge, aplicator pad), same like the seats?
also if u just spray and let if sit for few minutes , in unequal proportion it may stain , because it cleans that spot more. i guess chemical reaction from cleaners that are in the lotion.
what i do is never apply the cleaner conditioner straight on leather,just on a sponge or a gentle brush and go even all over the leather , that way are no stains or disproportion after clean. also wipe the left residue with a towel while still wet.
i read on some detail forum that 85% water few drops of dishwasher soap and 15% alchool is a good mix to clean leather. but i didn`t try yet.
check your vin no see if u have leather or letherete it may be a difference in cleaning process.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by axel_ny
in pic looks like it`s stain , what was the method u use when u apply and u wipe any residue after u "treat" the leather. any extra pressure when wipe..?
i am not familiar with Mo..lcc.
another q did u got any color on your towel (sponge, aplicator pad), same like the seats?
also if u just spray and let if sit for few minutes , in unequal proportion it may stain , because it cleans that spot more. i guess chemical reaction from cleaners that are in the lotion.
what i do is never apply the cleaner conditioner straight on leather,just on a sponge or a gentle brush and go even all over the leather , that way are no stains or disproportion after clean. also wipe the left residue with a towel while still wet.
i read on some detail forum that 85% water few drops of dishwasher soap and 15% alchool is a good mix to clean leather. but i didn`t try yet.
check your vin no see if u have leather or letherete it may be a difference in cleaning process.
The directions said add generous amounts of conditioner, which I did. I used a blue microfiber cloth to clean and green one to condition.

I have leather.

Directions say apply generously, wipe and let sit for 2 min and then wipe dry. I didn't put too much pressure.

Do u think this can be fixed?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear
Default .

Thwipe and let sit for 2 min and then wipe dry. I didn't put too much pressure.

Do u think this can be fixed?
looks like it lost the gloss in that area.and obvious the leather was treated with something.
u may have 3 choices, one made the spot not so obvious so doesn`t look like stain , and for that u have to wipe the line between the spots and made it loose , second try some high gloss dressing and match the gloss of your leather ,and 3rd deal with dealer and find out the process of the leather (last coat- the gloss one) and deal with mother`s company.
also are some kit`s for leather . http://www.leatherique.com/ talk with them , i bet they can help you.

Last edited by CosminTX; 06-02-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by axel_ny
looks like it lost the gloss in that area.and obvious the leather was treated with something.
u may have 3 choices, one made the spot not so obvious so doesn`t look like stain , and for that u have to wipe the line between the spots and made it loose , second try some high gloss dressing and match the gloss of your leather ,and 3rd deal with dealer and find out the process of the leather (last coat- the gloss one) and deal with mother`s company.
also are some kit`s for leather . http://www.leatherique.com/ talk with them , i bet they can help you.
Thank you.

I will wait for Mother's Company to get back to me, and see what they say. I blame their product for this issue. I dont know what to ask of Mother's, should I ask them to personally fix the leather (which doesnt look likely cuz im in NY and they're in CA). Or should i go as far as asking them to replace the leather/seats? Or should I take it somewhere, and have Mother's reimburse me?

The car is only a month old and its kills me to see my car like this.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Thank you.

I will wait for Mother's Company to get back to me, and see what they say. I blame their product for this issue. I dont know what to ask of Mother's, should I ask them to personally fix the leather (which doesnt look likely cuz im in NY and they're in CA). Or should i go as far as asking them to replace the leather/seats? Or should I take it somewhere, and have Mother's reimburse me?
W
The car is only a month old and its kills me to see my car like this.
Personally, I would take the car to somewhere reliable, have them fix/replace the seats or leather, and then have mother's reimburse you yhr money. If you did everything according to directions and used the proper cleaner, there is no reason it should be doing that and mother's should definately reimburse you. It would only be right!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pattrick02
Personally, I would take the car to somewhere reliable, have them fix/replace the seats or leather, and then have mother's reimburse you yhr money. If you did everything according to directions and used the proper cleaner, there is no reason it should be doing that and mother's should definately reimburse you. It would only be right!
I agree, but right now I will be patient. I spoke to Mother's today and they are sending me a product to fix the issue. They said it looks like I missed a spot, but there was no way I could've missed a spot. If this does not fix the issue, then I will do exactly what you said.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:32 PM

I agree, but right now I will be patient. I spoke to Mother's today and they are sending me a product to fix the issue. They said it looks like I missed a spot, but there was no way I could've missed a spot. If this does not fix the issue, then I will do exactly what you said.
Hopefully the product their sending you will fix it. I hate having to bring the car into the shop when there's something wrong. But if not, your best bet is to do so. Good Luck, I hope everything works out fine!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pattrick02
Hopefully the product their sending you will fix it. I hate having to bring the car into the shop when there's something wrong. But if not, your best bet is to do so. Good Luck, I hope everything works out fine!
My brother was a detail manager at Audi said that the cause was likely that I missed a spot. Which i find impossible, because I was very careful. So he is going to condition the leather, and then if it doesnt go away I will use Mother's product. Im in NY and Mother's is in CA, so i will have to wait anyway to apply their 'fix'

Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 PM

My brother was a detail manager at Audi said that the cause was likely that I missed a spot. Which i find impossible, because I was very careful. So he is going to condition the leather, and then if it doesnt go away I will use Mother's product. Im in NY and Mother's is in CA, so i will have to wait anyway to apply their 'fix'
sounds like your brother probably knows his stuff then, afterall he was a detail managaer at Audi, as you said. That'd be even better so you don't have to worry about going through the hassle with mtoher's

Quick Reply: Leather damaged by Mother's