AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/)
-   -   DIY - steering wheel boost gauge install (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/diy-steering-wheel-boost-gauge-install-164778/)

Mr. Phil 02-16-2011 03:11 PM

DIY - steering wheel boost gauge install

11 Attachment(s)
ok well i just did this last night and took pictures of it this morning as i actually ran wire for the light in the boost gauge... hope this is helpful to anyone that may ask, so we don't have to keep hunting other forums for a DIY for something that is very simple

my car is a 1998.5 1.8tq with the AEB engine

pop open these lil covers and remove the bolts holding the knee padding area up.... the yellowish circle is for the two phillips head screws holding the plastic trim on the steering wheel if u wanna take that off

Attachment 34387

there is another bolt holding it in on the fuse panel area as well.. dont forget this

Attachment 34388

when u drop the piece, be cautious of your OBD2 port... disconnect to avoid damaging the wires

Attachment 34389

i ran the wires through this little area.. i know most people here are men and dont have skinny girl hands, but i managed to fit my fingers in here and pull out the wires

Attachment 34390

i ran the positive to the fuse here, which happens to be the license plate light

Attachment 34391

this is where I made my ground... works great, the bolt is going to require a t15 torx bit though, so if u dont have this and dont wanna buy one, i suggest u find your own ground lol

Attachment 34392

now finding a place to run the tubing through was a pain, so i eventually lifted up the ecu access box and found a natural hole in the firewall so i didnt have to drill... so this is where i chose to run the tube through

Attachment 34393

then i pushed the hard tubing through this grommet

Attachment 34394

and this is where i installed the T fitting for my vacuum... you can use the FPR up top if u want, but this is the most common so i did it here for sanity's sake

Attachment 34395

this is it mounted and installed after everything :)

Attachment 34396

and here is the light all shnazzy like...

Attachment 34397

WELL I HOPE THIS COMES IN HANDY FOR PEOPLE WANTING TO DO THIS BUT DONT EXACTLY KNOW HOW AND DONT WANNA HAVE TO HUNT GOOGLE OR OTHER WEBSITES... SO IF U WANNA STICKY IT SWEET.. IF NOT.. OH WELL, AT LEAST IT GAVE ME SOMETHING TO DO FOR THE LAST HOUR HAHA

Mr. Phil 02-16-2011 03:13 PM

and for anyone thats going to ask... that is my E brake light and my airbag light, i have to get the airbag light sensor replaced i think :(

NickBroderick 02-16-2011 03:21 PM

There's hope for you after all, Phil. :p

Nice write up.

Mr. Phil 02-16-2011 03:22 PM

yay... i did something useful for once hahahaha

BaseDrifter 02-16-2011 03:48 PM

Nice writeup overall.

It is a good idea to use eyelet terminals (or a terminal of some sort) whenever possible. They're very cheap and it doesn't take but a minute. Just sticking bare wire into the fuse panel and under a screw head is a little shoddy. ;)

Mr. Phil 02-16-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by lm0812 (Post 1287948)
Nice writeup overall.

It is a good idea to use eyelet terminals (or a terminal of some sort) whenever possible. They're very cheap and it doesn't take but a minute. Just sticking bare wire into the fuse panel and under a screw head is a little shoddy. ;)

yes I know, but for the price (free) it works great lol

NHolzschuh 02-16-2011 09:58 PM

ya the only part i dont liek is how u put it into the fuse panel. very nice otherwise. i like how you made the VAC tap very apparent(in a good way) cuz the pictures on DIYs the VAC "T" always confused me

ImTheDevil 02-16-2011 10:07 PM

Nicely done Phil. When I get on the computer again (I'm using mobile on my phone) I'll move it to the DIY forum if someone else doesn't do so first.

nzant008 02-16-2011 10:17 PM

Thank you.
I have just received my pod holder from New South :) and was just thinking about how to install it:D

A4 2000 02-16-2011 10:24 PM

Nice write up man. I was thinking about doing a steering wheel gauge and now I have a better idea of how to hook it up. Thanks.