DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Removing door panels and replacing windows switches by Wrax

Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
6th Gear
Default Removing door panels and replacing windows switches by Wrax

Just thought I would share my experience with others... especially newbies like me!! Obviously all the usual caveats apply... dont try this if you cant handle a screwdriver etc...

I have just replaced the electric window switch on my passenger side door. I suspect the process would be no different on any other.

First off this is a UK 2001 A4

Step One
First remove the two screws marked 1 and 2.
Screw 2 is found inside a small hole under the grab bar. I stuck some BluTack to the end of my screwdriver to ensure I didnt drop it anywhere.
Then pull the trim nearest the front of the car towards you. It pops out by an inch or so and then slide the rest of the trim to the right to unlock it and it then pulls off.

Step Two
Place a mat on the ground under the door. Avoids damage to plastic trim.
Having removed the trim, remove the 4 screws that have been revealed. (1)
Then at the bottom of the door prize the panel away from the door. (2) Once started you can use the grab bar to pull more firmly and also to lift the top of the panel up so it unlocks from the window.

Step Three
Unhook the door catch cable and pull it from the restraining collar
The door can now be gently rotated and placed on the mat.

Step Four
There are several electric cables which you could unclip but this is not necessary unless you want to completely remove the panel. To replace the electric window switch this is not necessary. Simply locate it on the underside of the panel and pull gently down. It will pop out easily (1). Then unplug the switch (2) and replace with the new one.

Step Five
Simply reverse the above proceedure to reassemble everything. Total time about 20mins. Only tool required is a philips (cross head) screwdriver. The last picture shows the old and new switch in place.

.... and it even works;-)

Hope this is of help to people.