Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2004 A4 1.8T - aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 03:56 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A4 1.8T - aftermarket stereo install

I've got a question before I go cutting up the connectors and stuff. First off, i could not find a wiring harness that seems to fit the stock 2004 A4 stereo connectors. I've tried Scoche, HiTech Mobile and neither of them fit eventhough they say it's for 2002+. With that said,my only option is to snip the original connectors (unless someone out there knows of a wiring harness that fits).

For now, i'm just gonna keep the stock fronts and rears. Now, i know for the fronts it's pretty much match up and go with a +/- left-front and a +/- right-front speakers (4 wires). With the rears, seems to be a bit trickier. There is an amp that is installed on one of the speaker. And the funny thing is (maybe i missed it), there seems to be only like 1 LINEOUT for the left-rear and 1 LINEOUT for the right-rear. On top of that, there are ground connection and remote connection.

Now if i wanted to hook up my aftermarket deck to these rear, what are the steps i need to do from my aftermarket deck to make the rears work with that stock amp already installed?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend some info!

R

Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Default RE: 2004 A4 1.8T - aftermarket stereo install

I have some answers for you (might be too late) but I am currently replacing my stereo on a 2006 A4, it uses the same stereo, the reason there is no wiring harness is because the factory head unit gives only the front speakers sound, the back speakers and sub is controlled by a factory amp in the trunk. The solution that I am looking at is running speaker wire to the back. I have to look at some other things but that is where I am at thus far. I will let you know more when I have the stereo in.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Default RE: 2004 A4 1.8T - aftermarket stereo install

Your correct. I decided FIRST to replace the front speakers and hook up subs with amp to the back. The back left speaker has the amp and it supplies power to the right speaker. What's cool if you want to replace it is that the white wire can be used to auto shutoff the after market amp. You can find the wire diagram on audiworld.com electronic tech site.
I decided to replace my head unit. Well, I found out they didn't make a installation kit for it. Lucky my good friend is a master craftsman and made me one with ABS plastic. I found harness kits from installer.net. They where very helpful! They have the best prices. I got a clarion proaudio deck. I installed two component 5 1/4 audibahn's up front to a PPI 85x2 rms. Then I hooked up 2x10 Audiobahns to a 600 watt rms amp. The clarion has a preamps for front, rear and sub outs. I shut off the clarion amp and just used the clarion preamps. It's DXZ655MP Clarion ProAudio. I bought it off ebay from seller audiodiscount for $145! It's $300 in crutchfield and it's bad azz!
I'll post pics of my install tomorrow.