Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

99 Audi A4 1.8T Marker Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 Audi A4 1.8T Marker Light Wiring

So, when I purchased my 1999 Audi A4 earlier this year it had a set of aftermarket halo headlights installed. The installer obviously did a terrible hack job and spliced into all kinds of wiring at the light and at the fuse panel. To top it off, all connection were secured with electrical tape and none of the wiring was tucked or covered.

I have no problem jumping in and fixing this issue, I just need some visual references. The halo lights and the marker lights do not work. The halo lights are not working at all. The marker lights illuminate ONLY when the headlights are on, but not when the switch is in "park" mode. (These are not working front or rear).

From what I have read in various articles the lights are ground-controlled or ECM-controlled in this particular vehicle. I found some wiring diagrams online, but they are very unclear as to what goes where.

If I could just get a clear and concise diagram where I can follow each wire to the ECM and see what plug it is on the ECM, I should be able to sort it all out. There are just so many jumps, splices, and splits that at this point I cannot determine what is factory and what is not.

For an idea, here is what I have found so far:
  • Factory harness at light has been spliced into aftermarket harness without the actual connector removed (luckily).
  • The marker lights seem to still be on the factory wiring harness.
  • The turn signals and hazard flashers work normally.
  • Wires under dash hacked go to fuse locations 22 and 23.
  • The wires from the fuses seem to be blue/black and blue/red, and the wires at the markers are grey/black and black/white or something to that configuration.
  • Since the signals and markers work, I am assuming that either the switch is bad, or the marker position output from the switch has been cut somewhere.

Any help on this would be great as I am just sitting puzzled with my wife's car stripped apart in the yard.

Thanks!