Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

A4 HID Replacement Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Default A4 HID Replacement Bulb

A couple of days ago, my a4 gave me a "left dipped headlight" error message so i decided to see what the problem was. Some people simply cleaned the connectors and the bulbs started working again. Unfortunately, that was not the case with me. Upon removing the bulb, i noticed it was broken. So it was obvious i needed a new bulb. The problem is that i do not know what bulb (size, color, temperature, etc.) i need. The audi dealer was no help. When i called and tried to ask what bulb i needed and if they had it, one dealer said that the vin number to my car said i needed a regular halogen bulb, and a replacement was 20 or so odd US dollars. I removed the bulb and provided pictures. I have tried to search for a similar bulb, but every site suggest a bulb that looks nothing like the one i have. I have included some pictures of the bulb.
Any help would be greatly appreciated about identifying what kind of bulb i need/have or can use to replace (i hate not being able to drive at night .. ). Thanks in advance.

2003 Audi A4 1.8

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...acorp/bulb.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...corp/bulb2.jpg

Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Default RE: A4 HID Replacement Bulb

That is an aftermarket HID bulb, not OEM. See the two tags on the wires? One appears to be in a foreign language. The other likely has a number on it (like 4300k, 6000k, etc). That tells you the color temperature of the bulb. If you order a replacement bulb, order the same color temperature that is on the tag so it can match what you still have in the other housing. As for the style of bulb, I believe your car uses an H7 bulb like the B5 chassis A4s, but I'm not positive (AutoZone can tell you in about 3 seconds). Order a new HID bulb - you can buy them in pairs on eBay for about $35 shipped - and specify that you want:

D2S
H7 (or whichever bulb your car uses - could be an H1 I think too)
whatever color temp is on the tag on the bulb wire

If you do that, you should be fine.