Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Adding an amp and cd changer

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Adding an amp and cd changer

I have a 96 A6 with the stock Bose system. Are there RCA jacks or wire leads to run a seperate amp? Also the unit is prewired for the stock CD changer (which I don't have), I do have an Alpine 6 disk changer with the 8 pin plug. It powers up that changer but does nothing else. Is there an adapter or do I have to change the pin-outs on the plug?
Thanks

Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Adding an amp and cd changer

If you have a stock bose system, you can use the outputs from the deck (I am almost positive that they are low level) and splice RCA's onto those, then run them to where ever your amp is going to be.

You will need an adapter to make your changer work.
But if you are adding an amp, I would suggest replacing your stock headunit to an Alpine that will directly contoll your changer.

This way, your system will sound better as well.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
1st Gear

Switching to an Alpine head unit may be the way to go for a couple of reasons. First is that the system does not sound as good as I would like, the Alpine system in my truck has more depth and preasence. Second, is that I bought the car used and the safe mode code did not come with the audio manual and the local dealer wanted $70 to hook it up and get it. Third, is that the FM reception is not good at all. BUT, the stock unit has the red illumination which looks so sweet and the controls are ergonomic.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
2nd Gear

If you'd like to save yourself some money and hassle, you should be able to find an OEM changer for short money (<$100). They're often available on eBay, AudiForums/AudiWorld classifieds, etc. As you note, the care is prewired for this and it's thus a very easy install. Maybe you can eBay the changer you have to offset the investment...

Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

I pulled the radio out and looking at a pin-out diagram, I can see low level outputs r-rear, l-rear and common on the one of connectors on the back of the radio. My thought is to splice into each low level + and solder them to a pair of patch cords. I was also going to solder the common to each shield of the patch cords. This should give me the signals I need to feed the amp. Does this sound right, has anyone done this before? I'm keeping the radio and looking for a changer, evethough the FM reception is not all that good.
Thanks

Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

i will sell you my stock cd changer for 60 bucks works 100% fine just upgraded system not too long ago and took it out 60 bucks plus shipping just let me know i will even give your money back if it doesnt work

Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SloRide

I pulled the radio out and looking at a pin-out diagram, I can see low level outputs r-rear, l-rear and common on the one of connectors on the back of the radio. My thought is to splice into each low level + and solder them to a pair of patch cords. I was also going to solder the common to each shield of the patch cords. This should give me the signals I need to feed the amp. Does this sound right, has anyone done this before? I'm keeping the radio and looking for a changer, evethough the FM reception is not all that good.
Thanks
Yep, that is exactly right.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Yep, that is exactly right.
Well, I did that and when I turn it up the new amp and the rear speakers become distorted and at a much lower volume. If I unplug the rca jacks to the amp, all is back to normal. It seems like the new amp is dragging down the signal and I'm now not sure it is spliced into the appropriate connectors. See this diag. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/elec70-connector.jpg I have spliced into the C1 connector and put the RCA jacks onto pins 1,2 and grounds on 3. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the new amps input impedance is not high enough?
Thanks