Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Audi a4 3.0 quattro lights flickering

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Audi a4 3.0 quattro lights flickering

Hi,

I have a very annoying problem with my car (A4 3.0 Quattro Avant 2002 with original xenons). A couple of months ago I noticed the head lights flickering from time to time. Usually the lights worked just fine, but by now the flickering has become quite regular.

I first thought they were only the head lights that flicker, but as I took a closer look I noticed all the other exterior lights (tails, parks and license plate lights) flickering as well. The interior lights work just fine except the emergency blinker button light – it flickers simultaneously with the exterior lights.

I thought the flickering was random but then I used a stopwatch to check it and noticed the interval between each flicker is always exactly twenty seconds. It baffles me even more. Sometimes, but only sometimes the lights work without any problems and that is usually after the car has been standing still for some time, for example when I go to work in the morning. However, once I drive a bit, turn off the engine and then on again the flickering usually starts.

I dropped by a local service last week and they did a diagnosis on my car but could not find any fault codes that would straight away give the reason for the flickering. The only fault code found was “P0025 B Camshaft position timing over-retarder”. To eliminate this code I already have ordered a new sensor.

I would be very grateful if anyone smarter and more experienced than me had any idea of what and where to start looking for. In the summertime the flickering does not bother so much but once the days start to get shorter again it is very uncomfortable especially for the drivers in front of me.