Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Battery Question

Hey guys my first post here!!

Well basically i want to know some stuff about my car (A3 8L 2002) battery and how much i can attach to it.

New question:

I bought a BOSCH recharger and attached it to the battery like i would when jump starting, then i left it over night and on the BOSCH display it shows that the battery is still at the same level as before, it didnt charge...what could i be doing wrong?? Do i need to open any lid? how do i check to see whether there is enough battery liquid?

old question: Is there a mathematical table i can create where i can see how much i am using of the battery and how much the battery can support (is this in AH (Amp Hours) ? ) ?

What is the AH of the default things, like the headlights/interior lights/dashboard etc etc

thanks alot guys, im new to this and learning new things daily!

Greetings

Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Battery Question

Well I dont know if there is a set schedule for each thing in your car, but you can test the draw on your battery during operation.
Yes AH = Amp. Hour.
Now and normal battery should be able to handle all the equipment plus some extra stuff, but don't forget this, your altenator is also a major player in this. If the altenator is wearing out, it will not be able to catch up and this will drain the battery, the battery will not hold a charge....

Now I would put a large capacity battery in if you are going to run a lot of equipment, but also think about your altinator.

Dutchy

Old 02-21-2007, 08:15 AM
1st Gear

thanks alot dutchman helped out alot, will go read up on alternators. I do however have another quesiton:

I bought a BOSCH recharger and attached it to the battery like i would when jump starting, then i left it over night and on the BOSCH display it shows that the battery is still at the same level as before, it didnt charge...what could i be doing wrong?? Do i need to open any lid? how do i check to see whether there is enough battery liquid?

Any suggestions? thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Well typicaly to charge a battery in the cra you remove the cables, but also there could be a problem with the battery itself. How old is it? it might be to "dead" and then doesn't hold any charge. It might also have to do with the charger. Read the instruction on charging a battery in the car. Do be careful charging a battery inside a car. Good ventilation is a must..... I have seen car blow up, yes I really have due to H2 gasses.......

Dutchy