Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Bose 6 disc and Sirius Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Bose 6 disc and Sirius Satellite Radio

Hey there. I have the BOSE 6 disc that comes prewired for satellite radio in my 2005 A4. Apparently it is wired ready for XM. Has anyone been able to hook up Sirius through a normal audio installer? I don't want to go through Audi since they would probably charge $1000 for it! How much would it cost? Any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2006, 05:00 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Bose 6 disc and Sirius Satellite Radio

You must buy the Audi reciever. They cost around 300-400 from wholesalers like Clairparts.com

Old 01-23-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: misfit949

Hey there. I have the BOSE 6 disc that comes prewired for satellite radio in my 2005 A4. Apparently it is wired ready for XM. Has anyone been able to hook up Sirius through a normal audio installer? I don't want to go through Audi since they would probably charge $1000 for it! How much would it cost? Any suggestions?
It's actually very easy. If your Audi headunit has the "SAT" button on it and you have the OEM Sirius or XM reciever...the rest its pretty easy (assuming your Audi is 2000 or newer). see the install documents via www.nsxjr.com

Feel free to drop me a note if you need further details etc. I'd be glad to help you out. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2006, 07:13 PM

I just got a 2002 S6, and need to get it XM ready. The instructions in the later thread for swapping in a newer GPS model look daunting. However, if there is a chance that your pulled XM unit would interface with my 2002 S6, then you may be able to recoup some costs by selling it to me.

I would hope to keep it simpler than the more involved project, even finding an aftermarket head unit. But I wonder if that would give up steering wheel control over the audio.

Is there a realistic and not-too-obsessed way to install XM without an external bolt-on unit and giving up steering wheel controls?

Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: misfit949

you can add either the oem sirius tuner module or oem XM module very...very easy. These are usually sold on ebay for about $250. Your roof antenna will support both. You just need to remove some trim in the trunk to slot it in. Lots of detailed installation instructions on www.audiworld.com (do a search in the audio forum).

Also, just keep in mind, there are several different part numbers out there for these modules. They vary between nav, no-nav, tpms, no tpms etc. See www.navplus.us (quicklinks...then part numbers) for details.

The rest is plug/play. Good luck!!

Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Genoan

I just got a 2002 S6, and need to get it XM ready. The instructions in the later thread for swapping in a newer GPS model look daunting. However, if there is a chance that your pulled XM unit would interface with my 2002 S6, then you may be able to recoup some costs by selling it to me.

I would hope to keep it simpler than the more involved project, even finding an aftermarket head unit. But I wonder if that would give up steering wheel control over the audio.

Is there a realistic and not-too-obsessed way to install XM without an external bolt-on unit and giving up steering wheel controls?
Best thing to do is find a Symphony II head unit from a C5 A6/allroad/RS6 etc that has the SAT button. This way you can keep your steering wheel radio controls. Read this pdf:
http://www.nsxjr.com/docs/sat.pdf

They are tough to find...but worth it...if you want the integrated oem sat receiver. That is a cheaper option to adding the RNS-E....but the installation is the same.

I actually have a Sym II with SAT button for your S6 that I can sell you....if you want it. I was going to put it up on Ebay next week.

Parts list to consider:
1) Sym II with SAT button (from C5 A6 etc) - $250-$300 (plus you can sell you older Sym II for about $150)
2) oem sat (xm or sirius)receiver - $250 (lots of used ones on ebay)
3) canbus and power wiring to trunk for control etc of sat tuner
4) optional harness to run oem cd changer, ipod adaptor or phatbox mp3 player with Sat tuner
5) aftermarket XM or sirius antenna ($60) or you can install the oem sharkfin for $200+

I build custom wiring harness for all of this to be installed as a plug/play environment. See this thread:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

Drop me a line to my hotmail account if you are interested.

-ted