Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Hardwiring the charger for my RAZR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Hardwiring the charger for my RAZR?

Ok, as this is my first post and I'm trying not to make one of those "hay how do i get my car to make my phone turn on and stuff" threads, I'm going to attempt to give as much information as possible.

I have one of these ever-so-popular Motorola V3 Razrs and between the long wires in the way and the blue LED that matches nothing but the highbeam light on my dash, I need to get this hardwired. If you look at the charger wire for the RAZR, it may look a bit familiar. This is because Motorola has chosen to use a miniUSB cable instead of something proprietary.

Now these cables have 5 connectors inside them, of which only two are used for charging. One being a black ground and the other being a 5v power.

Now since I don't use the change drawer or the inside of the arm rest, either of those two locations would make perfect mounting points. My question is are there any locations in a (98 Santorian Blue) B5 A4 where I could directly attach these cables?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Hardwiring the charger for my RAZR?

Here's the idea taken at a slightly different angle. Since there's the mini-USB plug that connects to the phone to charge it, and you're dealing with a 5V signal in a car that is run by a 12V system, then obviously the plug of the charger (the one that goes into the cig lighter jack) converts your voltage, and you'll need that. What you can do is the following:

Instead of hacking up your phone charger cord, go to Walmart or AutoZone and get a cig lighter Y cable (one that has one plug but two jacks so you can connect, say, a phone charger and a radar detector at the same time). It'll run you about $5 or so. Cut one of the receptacles off, and hardwire it through the fusebox (extend the length of the wire leads if necessary, in order to reach where you want it to go). Keep this hidden under or inside the dash. Also hide your RAZR charger inside the dash and run the USB plug to the place that you want to use as a phone holder (which I think the coin tray in the console is the better idea, since it's not in the way of anything and is handy to reach the phone). In the choice of the coin tray, you can make a small hole and poke the USB plug through in a way that it's fairly unobtrusive.

I know you were mainly asking about a place to hold the phone, but this is a way that you can knock off two items at once, while avoiding the permanent use of your cig lighter (don't know about you, but I hate the look and inconvenience of cables and wires in the cabin), and also not have to hack up your phone charger.