Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

HID went out, curious why..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default HID went out, curious why..

Today I bit the bullet and decided to get my Rockford amp wired in my '02 TT by Best Buy... all appeared to have went well and a few hours later I was off in my vehicle with my new system. I helped the guy every now and then throughout the install to get it done a bit faster and when he was hooking the fusebox up to the battery he had dropped a nut under the battery bay. Since we didn't have a nut that size we decided to take out the battery and harness to retrieve it. After all that, we still couldn't reach it so a quick trip to a hardware store later we finished up. While we were hooking the battery back up, the short (pos+) wire before the newly installed fusebox tapped the ground battery post, popping slightly... half a second of contact at most (I dropped the ball on this one x_x). I didn't think anything of it since the contact was so short and intermittent. Once the vehicle was all put back together, I hopped in, cranked it up, and took off. About an hour later when it was time for some road lights, I turned on my HIDs and *BEEEEEEEP* the lamp error message popped up. I got out, took a look at it, and the drivers side (front left, I'm a US guy) is not turning on. The lamp was working fine the past week or so I've had the car, so either it's a huge coincidence the lamp went out at the same time as I got my amp installed or something went wrong.

The installer had removed the lamp switch cluster whilst installing the power wire, could something be wrong there? Is there perhaps a wire that came unplugged when reinstalling or removing the battery? Or perhaps could the ground wire shortage have caused the bulb to blow?

What would be your next steps to get this resolved? I'll be returning to Best Buy in the next few days to have them take a look at it.

The awkward thing is my fog lights had remained on prior to this, in order to turn them off you would have to press the headlight switch in pretty hard... however now you pull out the switch for them to turn on like normal with them remaining off while pressed in.

Edit: Err, I think this would be more relevant in the Audi TT forum, could a mod please move it for me please? Sorry about that, newbie here.

Last edited by Tewan; 04-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.