Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

How to fix loose recepticle in fuse box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
1st Gear
Default How to fix loose recepticle in fuse box?

Hi, my name is Derek and this is my first post.

We just bought a 99 a4 wagon and after noticing the cruise control didn't work, I popped the fuse panel to find 3 missing fuses: the cruise control and 2 for ABS. When I tried to insert a fuse into these slots, they all fit so loose that they would flop around or probably fall out. After searching a bit I haven't really found info particular to my car on this, although I'm sure it's out there. I did find this:
http://www.autorewire.com/tech/article/loosefuses.html

My auto repair skills are extreeemly limited to things like changing an oil filter. But, I'd like to poke around if assured that I probably wouldn't screw up the whole electrical system. How risky would it be for me to try and remove that fuse box to get a better look at it's backside? Would that be useful? If you have any experience here the advice is appreciated.

This is a replacement car for my wife's 01 cavalier that was having some problems. I settled on this audi after doing nothing but car hunting for 3 days and missing my air conditioned vw gti I gave her to drive. Now, I'm getting attached to her wagon while getting it's problems sorted out. I know it may cost a pretty penny to maintain, but the interior and body are in awesome shape and at a negotiated price of $3,300 bucks I couldn't pass it up. I've ordered a complete set of febi control arms and a complete timing belt kit from Blau (although I'd read some complaints, it seemed to have good replacement parts for my mechanic while fixing a wobbly water pump). Another issue is a sometimes working fuel guage I'm trying to decide is a sending unit or instrument cluster issue.

I posted on the fuses first as this is the subject I've found the least info on. But, if you have any advice on anything here, I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully, this gamble will pay off and this will be a nice car for my wife for at least a couple of years and hopefully more.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 AM

Well, good one, And I think this indicates a break in the path in the neutral (white) wiring to this outlet. If any of your other outlets are "back-wired".