Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

I THINK I REALLY MESSED UP MY RADIO HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default I THINK I REALLY MESSED UP MY RADIO HELP!!

OK, so heres the story... I went to the store bought some food got back to my car and it wouldnt start. Not a big deal, had a friend come over jumped it... but on the first try my friend was an idiot and had the + attached to my - and visa versa. Any ways we got it jumped and at first some of the electronic devices didnt work like stability control and anti lock breaks and the automatic windows, but slowly these things came back. BUT, the radio remained off and would not turn on... So I went to a local mechanic and got a new battery installed and hoped this would fix the problem, no luck... checked the fuse it was blown so replaced that still the cd player wont turn on. So i disconnected the amp which was sparking at the positive terminal (NOT A GOOD SIGN) and took off the rca's and ground which was kind of jimmy rigged off the stock amp similar to the set up in the DIY forum. Again I checked the fuse box and again the radio fuse was blown, replaced and tried my luck again without any of the additional stereo components and still no luck. The radio wont turn on... nothing, however, everything else works fine. So do you think I fried something on the radio? the amp? or both?? I really want to get this fixed because it is so boring driving without any music!! But i am also, short on money because the idiot that do my oil change cross threaded my oil pan so I need to fix that as well... So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Brian

Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I THINK I REALLY MESSED UP MY RADIO HELP!!

Your friend's fried the power supply inside the amplifier. Most amps don't have reverse input voltage protection - because of the HUGE current demands.

The amplifier's power terminals are now shorted internally - hence the sparking...

My advice is to remove the amplifier from the system, then replace the H/U's fuses, and see if it's still working properly. Buy a new amplifer (and H/U) as necessary. That was a catastrophic "whoops" on his part...

Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

Great just my luck.... So I should remove the stock amp as well, because I have already removed my aftermarket one? And also, there are additional fuses on the back of the stock HU? I really hope its just one of those fuses that are blown because I kind of had an expensive setup....

Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

also when i turn on my car sometimes i hear 4 loud beeps coming from the amp whatever that means...

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

I can't tell you what the loud beeps means...security code??? That's a good sign - so check ALL the fuses. Send your "friend" a bill.[&:]

Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

well thank god the stock hu and amp are fine, the fuse on the back was blown... however, my other amp is completely fried.... asked my friend if he wanted to go halves up on another amp and he declined... that punk...

Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all your help csuflyboy! Now i think i will kind of down grade my system (dont really need 1k of power and now im kind of nervous of another catostrophic disaster lol) so im looking at 400 to 600 watt mono amps right now... looking at the mtx tc series or the hifonics bxi or txi series... any other suggestions??? I am definetly going to get a capacitor to protect my battery and since im not pushing a lot of power i am also looking at getting a smaller sealed box b/c i don't think i will be needing my huge vented box anymore. I got my friend to feel really bad for messing up my car and he said all drinks are on him tonight.... maybe i should order a couple rounds of Louis the XIII and then we will be even!!! I think i got lucky that nothing else got fried and next time im just going to call AAA if my battery ever dies again.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: a4turbo1217

Thanks for all your help csuflyboy! Now i think i will kind of down grade my system (dont really need 1k of power and now im kind of nervous of another catostrophic disaster lol) so im looking at 400 to 600 watt mono amps right now... looking at the mtx tc series or the hifonics bxi or txi series... any other suggestions???

There's really no reason to "downgrade". Let's keep our eye on the issue...the battery cables were connected backwards - that's it. Everything was working fine prior to your "mechanic" helping you out...right?

I am definetly going to get a capacitor to protect my battery and since im not pushing a lot of power i am also looking at getting a smaller sealed box b/c i don't think i will be needing my huge vented box anymore.

Capacitors DO NOT "protect" your battery. They're an energy storage device - similar to a battery, but able to charge and discharge much faster - thus stabilizing the voltage (and filtering A/C) to the amplifier. I could go on for a long time about why they're not needed in your system, provided the wiring is of proper gauge and the ground(s) are "good". Fuses should protect your car's electrical system from fires, but in your case, there's no device that could have protected your amplifier.

Sealed boxes generally don't have the output of ported enclosures (especailly in the lower octaves), and thus I feel you're making some drastic changes that you might not like - and you'll end up with buyers remorse. Try just getting your system that you knew you liked prior to the catastrophic failure back up and running...

I got my friend to feel really bad for messing up my car and he said all drinks are on him tonight.... maybe i should order a couple rounds of Louis the XIII and then we will be even!!! I think i got lucky that nothing else got fried and next time im just going to call AAA if my battery ever dies again.

I'm sure he's a great friend - but keep him away from tools (of any kind) and your Audi...