Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

no sound from rear with new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:24 PM
1st Gear
Default no sound from rear with new head unit

I installed a new kenwood ddx-8017 head unit in my 2002 a4 and the harness i got from metra to do it came with the pins not lining up with my factory stuff. I did some testing and changed some stuff around and got the unit to power up. But here's the problem now my rear speakers don't work and it randomly shuts off and comes back on sometimes. Im pretty sure some of my wiring is messed up. Anyone know what all the wires on the factory harness are? wiring diagram or something or just tell me what i have to hook to what. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: no sound from rear with new head unit

Did your new HU come with its own harness and wires? If so, you can easily cut out the old harness and connect those wires to the new harness and wires by soldering or crimping the matching wires together. Or you can take the super easy way out and use marettes, which should only be temporary until the wires can be soldered or crimped. (car audio placed will do it for a price.)

Old 02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like you've got the incorrect harness.

The lilkely reason the rears aren't working is that (if non-Bose) they take a line level in and amplify the signal and then distribute to the speakers. The amp is attached to the left rear speaker. How have you got this wired up in your new setup, ie. there needs to be a set of rear line outs from your new h/u going into the appropriatye cocket in your harness. To do this you'll need to cutoff or splice the RCA of your new h/u.

The likely reason that it is opwer off is that it does not have CANBUS support. Not sure how you work around this.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

your car has a built in amps for the rear speakers,so if u mess with the wires from the unit the wire for the amplifier proably shorting out from behind the unit,so check the connection and the setup of the harness that u put in.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

wrong harness, i work at best buy..we special order them from metra or skoesh or however u spell it..same **** happened to me

Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

ello i had same thing with my A6, easily sorted aswell, in boot behind R/H/S side panel you will have a fitted sub (some don't) you will see plie of wires going into red jack, what you need to do is find wires from head unit to this jack and find wires that go from jack to door speakers, I soldered jump wires between cables to bridge them and if you get wres right way you sorted.
P.S unplug red jack and don't plug it back in coz you might short sommit, bummer is you will lose built in sub but i got around that by dumping 2x12 inch subs in

Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

YOU NEED -ACTIVE AUDI CONNECTORS- ASK ANY AUDIO PLACE,I KNOW IM RITE DID MINE YESTERDAY,EASY FIT JOB DONE!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

Should be Metra harness 70-1787. CAN BUS turns on the stock HU so you will have to tap a 12v switched somewhere else. I tapped a yellow/black stripe wire on the steering column for that.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 AM
1st Gear

i will tell you right now any audi that has the factory amp they make no harness to hook up directly you have to use you imagination a little bit i figured mine out in about 1 hr so if you have any probs let me know email me at ryrysmith23@yahoo.com